Calculate parallel projection given function f(x,y)

Your Name]In summary, to calculate the parallel projection on an infinite object defined by f(x,y) = cos(2pi(2x+y)) from the angle phi = 45 degrees, we can use the Central Slice Theorem and the Fourier Transform. The parallel projection will be a constant value for all points along the 45-degree line in the image, obtained by rotating and scaling the function cos(2pi x) and taking the inverse Fourier Transform.
kmoh111

Homework Statement

Calculate the parallel projection on an infinite object defined by:

f(x,y) = cos(2pi(2x+y)) from the angle phi = 45 degrees.

Hint: Use the Central Slice Theorem and Fourier Transform (FT) of f(x,y).
2nd Hint: On a 2D image in Fourier space, delta functions are only points. See whether these points are measured by the 45-degree line and then take FT inverse.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at an answer:
From Fourier Transfer (FT) pairs we know that the FT of cos(2pix) is a dirac delta function in k-space. That is, as a function of kx and ky. The parallel projection will be the inverse FT of the dirac delta function - but this function should be in terms of r, and phi.

I'm not sure how to get the delta function as a function of kx and ky into a delta function in terms of r and phi.

Another approach is to note that cos (2pi(2x+y)) is a rotated and scaled function of cos (2pi x). The Fourier Transform will also be a rotated and scaled function of cos (2pi x) - but I'm not sure what FT properties are needed to derive the FT.

I've also attached a PDF with my attempt to solve the problem.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Homework.pdf
    352 KB · Views: 166
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach using the Central Slice Theorem and the Fourier Transform is correct. However, to obtain the parallel projection, you need to use the inverse Fourier Transform, not the inverse of the delta function.

The inverse Fourier Transform of a delta function in k-space will give you a constant function in r-space. This means that the parallel projection will be a constant value for all points along the 45-degree line in the image.

To obtain the value of this constant, you can use the FT pair for cos(2pi x) and its inverse. Then, using the properties of the Fourier Transform, you can rotate and scale the function to match the given function cos(2pi(2x+y)). Finally, taking the inverse Fourier Transform will give you the parallel projection on the 45-degree line.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a parallel projection?

A parallel projection is a type of projection in which all lines remain parallel after being projected onto a plane. This means that the relative distances and sizes of objects are preserved in the projection.

2. How is parallel projection calculated?

To calculate parallel projection, you need to know the function f(x,y) that describes the object, as well as the direction of the projection. You can then use a mathematical formula, such as the parallel projection matrix, to transform the points of the object onto the projection plane.

3. What is the purpose of calculating parallel projection?

Calculating parallel projection is useful in many fields, such as computer graphics, engineering, and architecture. It allows you to visualize and analyze 3D objects on a 2D plane, making it easier to understand and work with complex shapes and structures.

4. Can parallel projection be used to measure distances and angles?

Yes, parallel projection can accurately preserve distances and angles, making it a useful tool for measurement and analysis.

5. What are the limitations of parallel projection?

One limitation of parallel projection is that it only works for objects that are parallel to the projection plane. It also does not take into account any depth perception or foreshortening, which may be important in certain applications.