Calculate power produced in each bulb

In summary, given two light bulbs with ratings of 75.0W 120VAC and 100W 120VAC connected in series across a potential difference of 120VAC, using the formula P=VI, the power produced in each bulb is calculated to be 75W and 100W respectively. The total power produced in the series circuit is 175W. To find the resistance of each bulb, the formula R = V^2/P is used, resulting in a resistance of x ohms for the 75W bulb. Similarly, the resistance of the 100W bulb can be found. To find the total power dissipated, the current through a resistance equal to the sum of the bulb's resist
lilkrazyrae
Given two light bulbs with the following ratings: 75.0W 120VAC and 100W 120VAC. They are connected in series across a potential difference of 120. VAC. Assuming that the operating resistances of the bulbs are not affectd by the series connection, calculate (a) the power produced in each bulb, and (b) the total power produced in the series circuit.

Using I=P/v gives (a) 75W & 100W and (b) 175W

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't do your homework for you. Have you reviewed your course-work and textbooks, and do you have any questions related to your understanding of them? That would be the place to start.

Not Wanting you to do it for me

Actually I was reviewing for a test and working the odd problems. I was checking to see if I did them right. You guys always seem to assume the worst!

Your answer (a) is wrong because those powers only apply to case when there is 120V across each light bulb, like if they were in parallel. That's not the case here.

Even though it says to ignore the series connection?

lilkrazyrae said:
Even though it says to ignore the series connection?
You are can ignore the changes in the operating resistances (printed on the bulbs) imposed by the circuit values caused by the series connection, but that does not leave you free to ignore the effects of the series connection on the calculated voltages and powers. They are simplifying the question by allowing you to assume that the resistive values of each bulb is constant regardless of applied voltage. Does that help?

Last edited:
If a bulb uses 75 W of power when connected across 120 VAC, you can directly calculate its resistance

[itex]
\begin{gathered}
P = VI = V\left( {\frac{V}
{R}} \right) = \frac{{V^2 }}
{R} \hfill \\
R = \frac{{V^2 }}
{P} \hfill \\
R = \frac{{\left( {120\,{\text{V}}} \right)^2 }}
{{75\,{\text{W}}}} = x\,{\text{ohms}} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
[/itex]

Use the same process to find the resistance of the 100 W bulb.

Finally, find the current through a resistance equal to the sum of the bulb's resistances. Then use P=VI to find the power dissipated.

As a check, consider that resistances in series add together to form a larger resistance, so the power dissipated by the two bulbs in series cannot possibly be larger than the power dissipated by either alone.

- Warren

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the power produced in each bulb?

To calculate the power produced in each bulb, you need to know the voltage and current of the bulb. The formula for power is P = V * I, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. Multiply the voltage and current values of each bulb to get the power produced in watts.

2. What is the unit of measurement for power produced in each bulb?

The unit of measurement for power produced in each bulb is watts (W). This is a standard unit for measuring power in electrical systems.

3. Can you calculate the power produced in each bulb if only the voltage or current is known?

No, you need both the voltage and current values to calculate the power produced in each bulb. If only one of these values is known, you cannot accurately determine the power.

4. How does the power produced in each bulb affect its brightness?

Generally, the higher the power produced in a bulb, the brighter it will be. This is because more power means more energy is being converted into light. However, the type of bulb and its efficiency also play a role in determining brightness.

5. Is the power produced in each bulb constant or does it vary?

The power produced in each bulb can vary depending on factors such as voltage fluctuations, temperature, and the age of the bulb. In general, newer and more efficient bulbs will produce a more consistent amount of power.