1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Resonance Frequency of a Molecule

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    Is there any systematic, predictive way to calculate the resonance frequency of a given molecule?

Say I'm given a formula and a structure but nothing else. Is there any way to calculate it without just experimenting?

I'm not sure if this question is in the right place, and I'm not sure if it's intelligible. It's just something that struck my curiosity recently and I've tried some Google research with no real success. Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2011 #2
    I remember calculating the resonance frequencies of a water molecule using classical mechanics. We use Lagrangian mechanics and modeled each atom in the molecule as a point mass, and we assumed the force between each atom was proportional to their separation (like Hooke's law).

I imagine this would be hella hard to do with anything with a less-than-simple structure like H2O. It would be even harder with a molecule that contains four or more atoms not in the same plane.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook