1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate speed (work and energy)

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    • moved from general physics
    A vertical spring with spring constant 300 N/m is compressed 0.06 m and a 0.25 kg ball placed on top. The spring is released and the ball flies vertically upward.

What is the ball's speed when it has gone 0.1 m high?

I don't know which relationship is required to find the speed, Can someone please help?
    I calculated the maximum hight:
    mgh = 1/2Dy^2
    h = 0.22 m

Then i made use of the formula
    E(final) = E(Initial)

0.25 * g * 0.22 = 0.25 * g * 0.1 + 1/2 * 0.25 * v^2
    v = 1.53m/s

Is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Not sure why you went to the trouble of using the maximum height. All you really need is the total energy at any instant, so the spring potential energy alone would suffice if you take the zero-reference for gravitational PE to be the ball's pre-release position.

The only really questionable part of your solution is the vagueness of "0.1 m high" in the problem statement. Where's the height measured from? Is it the position of the ball before the spring is compressed, or the position of the ball when the spring is compressed?

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Conservation of energy. The ball starts off with an initial KE that is converted into a combination of PE and KE on the way up. You can calculate the PE at any height (eg at 0.1M). The remaining energy is KE from which you calculate the velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted