Calculate Tension in String 1 for Hanging Sign Problem

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign
In summary, the magnitude of the tension in string 1 is 66.4289 N, and the magnitude of the tension in string 2 is 120.5821 N.
chaotixmonjuish
I'm working on this hanging sign problem:

A sign hangs precariously from your prof's office door. Calculate the magnitude of the tension in string 1, if θ1 = 27.42°, θ2 = 67.35°, and the mass of the sign is 9.9 kg.

I was wondering if I could put 9.9*9.8 as a leg in the middle of the triangle to calculate the tension on the two strings. The only given hint is to calculate components.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a FBD then use Newton's second law, Fnet = Ma

T1 + T2 + Fg = Ma

The sign is in static equilibrium so Ma = 0, yielding,

T1 + T2 + Fg = 0

Find the x components and the y components using the given angles (noting their referenced axis) and then solve the two resulting simultaneous equations.

CS

could i use the force the sign is exerting as a leg in order to aid with component calculations?

I guess what I'm trying to say, am I already give a Y component 97.02 N, and can I use that to calculate the remaining ones

No. With only the Y component of force you do not have enough information to solve the problem. You must use Newton's second law and then break the problem down into componets in order to find the tension vector.

The technique I posted is the proper way to solve the problem so you will conceptually understand what is going on with all of the forces.

can i just make sure I have this right
t
T1+T2-Mg=Ma

T1+T2-97.02=0

That's what I got from my relatively simple diagram. I'm just not sure how to calculate components without a length.

T1 + T2 - Mg = 0 is correct. This is your equilibrium equation.

The components depend on the referenced axis and the direction of the angle. Is θ1 = 27.42° from the positive x-axis or negative x-axis (look at your drawing). What about θ2 = 67.35° referenced position (they should be opposite given your problem but maybe not)?

If θ1 is a negative angle from the negative x-axis and θ2 from the positive you have:

x components: -T1cos(θ1) + T2cos(θ2) - 0 = 0

y components: T1sin(θ1) + T2sin(θ2) - Mg = 0

Solve those two equations simultaneously and then substitute back into the equilibrium equation.

I know this is probably going to yield me a blaring duh, but i just solve the equation for T1.

okay, so i forgot to mention that T2 is to the left of the Y

my two equations are:

X=-T2*cos(theta)+T1*cos(theta)=0
Y= T1*sin(theta)+T2*sin(theta)-97.02=0

I tried solving for X
T2*cos(theta)=T1*cos(theta)
T2=T1*cos(theta)/cos(theta)
T2=T1

It worries, me, I don't think that should be right.

I got 66.4289 N for the tension in string 1

is this right?

Anyone?

okay, so i forgot to mention that T2 is to the left of the Y

my two equations are:

X=-T2*cos(theta)+T1*cos(theta)=0
Y= T1*sin(theta)+T2*sin(theta)-97.02=0

I tried solving for X
T2*cos(theta)=T1*cos(theta)
T2=T1*cos(theta)/cos(theta)
T2=T1

It worries, me, I don't think that should be right.

No. The angles (theta 1 and theta 2 are different) so T1 is not equal to T2. If they were the same then you would be correct.

do the cos not cancel out

No. The angles are different so the cosines do not cancel. If the angles were the same they would, but they are not.

Is the answer 187.011 N? I just got that by turning the whole thing into a triangle.

No.

Did you solve these two equations simultaneously?

x components: -T1cos(θ1) + T2cos(θ2) - 0 = 0

y components: T1sin(θ1) + T2sin(θ2) - Mg = 0

Solve the x component equation for T2:

-T1cos(θ1) + T2cos(θ2) - 0 = 0

T2cos(θ2) = T1cos(θ1)

T2 = T1(cos(θ1)/cos(θ2))

Now substitue T2 into the y component equation:

T1sin(θ1) + T2sin(θ2) - Mg = 0

T1sin(θ1) + T1(cos(θ1)/cos(θ2))*sin(θ2) = Mg

T1(sin(θ1) + (cos(θ1)/cos(θ2))*sin(θ2)) = Mg

T1 = Mg/(sin(θ1) + (cos(θ1)/cos(θ2))*sin(θ2))

Now you have the two equations (assuming the referenced angles were the same as I posted earlier). Solve this one for a numeric value of T1 since you have all the missing information for it. Then plug that answer into the T2 = T1(cos(θ1)/cos(θ2)) to find the other tension.

Related to Calculate Tension in String 1 for Hanging Sign Problem

What is the formula for calculating tension in string 1 in the hanging sign problem?

The formula for calculating tension in string 1 in the hanging sign problem is T = (m1*g + m2*g)*cos(θ) + F, where T is the tension in string 1, m1 and m2 are the masses of the sign and string 1 respectively, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle between string 1 and the horizontal, and F is any additional external force acting on the string.

How do I determine the angle θ for calculating tension in string 1?

The angle θ can be determined by using a protractor to measure the angle between string 1 and the horizontal. Alternatively, if the hanging sign is in equilibrium, θ can be calculated using the formula tan(θ) = m1/m2.

What is the unit of measurement for tension in string 1?

The unit of measurement for tension in string 1 is typically Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

What happens to the tension in string 1 if the mass of the sign is increased?

If the mass of the sign is increased, the tension in string 1 will also increase. This is because the weight of the sign exerts a greater downward force on the string, requiring the string to have a higher tension to maintain equilibrium.

Can I use the same formula to calculate tension in string 1 in different scenarios?

The formula for calculating tension in string 1 is specific to the hanging sign problem and may not be applicable to other scenarios. It is important to consider the forces and variables involved in each scenario to determine the appropriate formula for calculating tension in string 1.