Calculate the acceleration of the block

In summary: So you have finished A and correctly calculated the force of friction? If so, good. To solve B, identify all the forces acting on the block. Then find the net force and use that to calculate the acceleration via Newton's 2nd law. In summary, the block is being pushed up a chalkboard with an applied force of 6.0 N upward and 2.0 N inward. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.4, so the force of friction is 15 N. The block is being accelerated at a rate of 12 m/s2.
raman911
A 0.5 kg block is being slid up a chalkboard with an applied force of 6.0 N upward and 2.0 N inward towards the board. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.4.

a) Calculate the force of friction.

b) Calculate the acceleration of the block.F = mju R [ F = u R]

1. F/u = 6/0.4 = 15N ?

2. F = ma ... 6/0.5 = a = 12m/s^2

not sure... some1 back me up on this!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no one helping

If you would like help, show what you've done so far--per PF rules.

Start by identifying all the forces acting on the block.

Doc Al said:

F = mju R [ F = u R]

1. F/u = 6/0.4 = 15N ?

2. F = ma ... 6/0.5 = a = 12m/s^2

not sure... some1 back me up on this!

Show us your attempts at solving this problem first.

e(ho0n3 said:
Show us your attempts at solving this problem first.

2. (6-(2*0.4))/0.5= 10.4 upwards w.r.t board.

(6-(2*0.4)-(0.5*9.8))/0.5=0.6 upwards w.r.t ground.

raman911 said:
F = mju R [ F = u R]
I assume F is the friction force? So what is R?

Doc Al said:
I assume F is the friction force? So what is R?

sorry
mean Fn

Doc Al said:

can u help now

Seems like you have several versions of solutions. Approach it systematically: What forces act on the block? What's the force of friction?

Doc Al said:
Seems like you have several versions of solutions. Approach it systematically: What forces act on the block? What's the force of friction?

can u help me
which formula i need to use first one

For (1), use the formula you've already stated, F=uN. Do you know what force N is in this case? (I think you were calling in R in your first post)

hage567 said:
For (1), use the formula you've already stated, F=uN. Do you know what force N is in this case? (I think you were calling in R in your first post)
I AM NOT SURE
CAN U DO THAT.

N is the normal force. The block is being pushed against a vertical wall. So which of the two forces you were given in the question is holding the block on the wall? That is the force you need to use to find the force of friction.

hage567 said:
N is the normal force. The block is being pushed against a vertical wall. So which of the two forces you were given in the question is holding the block on the wall? That is the force you need to use to find the force of friction.

i need help in B

raman911 said:
i need help in B
So you have finished A and correctly calculated the force of friction? If so, good.

To solve B, identify all the forces acting on the block. Then find the net force and use that to calculate the acceleration via Newton's 2nd law.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1), where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time.

What units are used to measure acceleration?

The SI unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). Other common units include miles per hour squared (mph/s^2) and feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration causes a change in an object's velocity, which in turn affects its motion. A positive acceleration will cause an object to speed up, while a negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) will cause it to slow down.

Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object is slowing down or decelerating. Negative acceleration is often referred to as deceleration or retardation.