Calculate the age of the sample.

• Thread starter IAMJUSTELLIOT
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the age of a sample of radioactive rock based on the amount of lead and uranium present. The half-life of uranium is also mentioned. The individual asking for help is initially confused, but eventually understands the concept of half-life and how to calculate the age of the sample.
IAMJUSTELLIOT
problem..

I've been given this question as my homework over the holiday, and I've come to attempt it and I'm completely stumped, as are most in my class so could you guys point me in the right direction?

question..

Uranium decays into lead. The half life of uranium is 4,000,000,000 years. A sample of radioactive rock contains 7 times as much lead as it does uranium. Calculate the age of the sample.

my guess..

Just thinking over as I write it, would I have to see how long it would take the uranium to decay completely then divide it by 7?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what half-life means.
after 4,000,000,000 years how much is left?
after 8,000,000,000 years?
after 12,000,000,000 years?
after 16,000,000,000 years?

Last edited:
Right so,

After 4b years 119 is left.
After 8b years 60 is left.
After 12b years 30 is left.
After 16b years 15 is left.

Then what would I do?

Where do you get 119 from?:bugeye:

Uranium 238 / 2 = Uranium 119?:S

Starting out with a sample of uranium 1/2 of it will be lead after 4b years the other half will still be uranium. How much lead and how much uranium will there then be after another 4b years have gone by (man this stuff decays slowly!)?

It will be 1/4 uranium to 3/4 led..

So do I keep going till it is 1/8 uranium to 7/8 lead?

Last edited:
IAMJUSTELLIOT said:
Uranium 238 / 2 = Uranium 119?:S

Nah! - that's not what half-life means - Basic_Physics just posted correctly

IAMJUSTELLIOT said:
It will be 1/4 uranium to 3/4 led..

So do I keep going till it is 1/8 uranium to 7/8 lead?

Now you got it.

AJ Bentley said:
Now you got it.

So it's not that hard, thanks:):)

What is the process for calculating the age of a sample?

The process for calculating the age of a sample involves determining the amount of a specific element or isotope in the sample and comparing it to the known decay rate of that element. This can be done using various techniques such as radiometric dating, carbon dating, or dendrochronology.

What factors can affect the accuracy of age calculations?

The accuracy of age calculations can be affected by a number of factors including contamination of the sample, the presence of multiple isotopes, and the assumption of a constant decay rate. It is important for scientists to account for and minimize these potential sources of error in order to obtain accurate results.

How far back in time can we accurately calculate the age of a sample?

The maximum age that can be accurately calculated for a sample depends on the specific dating technique used. For example, carbon dating can accurately determine the age of organic materials up to about 50,000 years, while radiometric dating can be used to calculate the age of rocks and minerals up to billions of years old.

Can age calculations be performed on any type of sample?

No, age calculations can only be performed on samples that contain elements or isotopes that undergo radioactive decay. This includes materials such as rocks, fossils, and organic remains, but not all types of materials.

What is the significance of calculating the age of a sample?

Calculating the age of a sample is important for understanding the timeline of events in Earth's history and the evolution of different species. It also helps scientists make predictions about future changes and developments in the natural world.