Calculate the angular momentum

• Thread starter Exustior
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A batter swings a 0.9 m long bat. Calculate the angular momentum of the bat relative to its axis of rotation. Assume the bat has a mass of 0.6 kg and rotates at 3 rad / s
(Hint: Approximate the bat by a rod, or a long thin cylinder, and find the moment of inertia.)
Answer in (N m)

Homework Equations

I=mr^2
ω=v/r
v=ωr
L=Iω

The Attempt at a Solution

L=Iω
I=mr^2
so L=(0.6)(.9^2)(ω)
ω=angular velocity is 3 rad/s
so L=(.6)(.9^2)(3rad/s)= Wrong answer

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

BruceW
Homework Helper
Hey, welcome to physicsforums!
uh, the moment of inertia formula you have used is not correct for this problem. The inertia I=(0.6)(0.9)^2 would suggest the mass of the bat is concentrated at the end of the bat. But it looks like they want you to assume the bat is a long thin cylinder, of uniform density. So either you can look up the moment of inertia for this kind of object, or derive it yourself, if you have time.

Hey, welcome to physicsforums!
uh, the moment of inertia formula you have used is not correct for this problem. The inertia I=(0.6)(0.9)^2 would suggest the mass of the bat is concentrated at the end of the bat. But it looks like they want you to assume the bat is a long thin cylinder, of uniform density. So either you can look up the moment of inertia for this kind of object, or derive it yourself, if you have time.
Thanks!
I got it I was using the wrong formula.