Calculate the current i3 in the following configuration

In summary, the formula for calculating current i3 in this configuration is I3 = V3/R3, where I3 represents the current, V3 represents the voltage, and R3 represents the resistance. V3 can be determined by using Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R), or V = I x R. Current i3 is significant because it represents the flow of electric charge through the third branch of the circuit and is important for determining the overall current and voltage in the circuit. It can be negative in this configuration, indicating a reverse direction of current flow. Changing the resistance in the third branch will affect current i3 according to Ohm's law
shimizua

Homework Statement

Calculate the current i3 in the following configuration:

http://capa-new.colorado.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype57/prob06_kirch.gif
EMF_1 = 6 V
EMF_2 = 3 V
R_1 = 70 Ohm
R_3 = 20 Ohm

Homework Equations

I know that V=IR so I=V/R
but because there are 2 batteries i am just having a little bit of a problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

tried adding up the batteries but it does not seem to be working

Physics news on Phys.org
nm, i figured it out

1. What is the formula for calculating current i3 in this configuration?

The formula for calculating current i3 in this configuration is I3 = V3/R3, where I3 represents the current, V3 represents the voltage, and R3 represents the resistance.

2. How do I determine the value of V3 in this configuration?

V3 can be determined by using Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R), or V = I x R. You can also measure the voltage using a voltmeter.

3. What is the significance of current i3 in this configuration?

Current i3 is significant because it represents the flow of electric charge through the third branch of the circuit. It is also important for determining the overall current and voltage in the circuit.

4. Can the current i3 be negative in this configuration?

Yes, the current i3 can be negative in this configuration. A negative current indicates that the direction of the current flow is opposite to the direction of the conventional current flow.

5. How does changing the resistance in the third branch affect current i3?

Changing the resistance in the third branch will directly affect current i3 according to Ohm's law. As the resistance increases, the current will decrease and vice versa. This relationship is linear, so doubling the resistance will result in halving the current and vice versa.