Calculate the inductance of a coil of wire

In summary, The inductance of a coil of wire can be calculated using the equation L= μₒAN² / x, where μₒ is the magnetic constant, A is the area of the coil, N is the number of loops, and x is the length of the wire. In this problem, the coil has a loop diameter of 0.5 cm and a length of 10 cm, with 1000 loops per meter. Using the given values, the calculated inductance is 7.85 * 10^-5 H. However, upon further examination, it is possible that the number of loops (N) was not calculated correctly, which may affect the final result.
monnapomona

Homework Statement

Calculate the inductance (SI units: Henries) of a coil of wire having a loop diameter of 0.5 cm and coil length of 10 cm. The wire has 1000 loops per meter.

Homework Equations

I think I can use this equation:
L= μₒAN² / x, x = length of wire, μₒ = 4π*10^-7 Tm/A
A = πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

L= μₒ(πr^2)N² / x
= μₒ(π(0.0025 m)^2)*(1000^2) / 0.1 m
= 7.85 * 10^-5 H

But apparently on my homework assignment that is wrong. Am I using the wrong formula?

Edit: fixed units

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a closer look at your value for N.

@ gneill: I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this correctly but since I was given 1000 loops per meter, would I have to multiply this by the length (0.1 m) in order to just get the number of loops (N)?

monnapomona said:
@ gneill: I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this correctly but since I was given 1000 loops per meter, would I have to multiply this by the length (0.1 m) in order to just get the number of loops (N)?

That would be logical, right?

in equation

Your attempt at a solution is correct. It is possible that there is a mistake in the units given in the problem statement or a typo in the answer key. It would be worth double checking the units and calculations to make sure they are correct. If you are still unsure, you can always ask your instructor for clarification.

1. How is the inductance of a coil of wire calculated?

The inductance of a coil of wire can be calculated using the formula L = (μ0 * N^2 * A) / l, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

2. What is the unit of measurement for inductance?

The unit of measurement for inductance is the Henry (H), which is equal to 1 volt-second per ampere (V·s/A).

3. How does the number of turns in a coil affect its inductance?

The inductance of a coil is directly proportional to the square of the number of turns. This means that increasing the number of turns will increase the inductance, while decreasing the number of turns will decrease the inductance.

4. Can the inductance of a coil be negative?

No, the inductance of a coil cannot be negative. Inductance is a physical property that represents the ability of a coil to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. Negative inductance would imply the ability to store negative energy, which is not possible.

5. How does the shape of a coil affect its inductance?

The shape of a coil can affect its inductance in a couple of ways. Firstly, a coil with a larger cross-sectional area will have a higher inductance compared to a coil with a smaller cross-sectional area. Additionally, the shape of the coil can also affect the distribution of the magnetic field, which can impact the inductance.