Calculate the inductance of a coil of wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
monnapomona
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the inductance (SI units: Henries) of a coil of wire having a loop diameter of 0.5 cm and coil length of 10 cm. The wire has 1000 loops per meter.


Homework Equations



I think I can use this equation:
L= μₒAN² / x, x = length of wire, μₒ = 4π*10^-7 Tm/A
A = πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution



L= μₒ(πr^2)N² / x
= μₒ(π(0.0025 m)^2)*(1000^2) / 0.1 m
= 7.85 * 10^-5 H

But apparently on my homework assignment that is wrong. Am I using the wrong formula?

Edit: fixed units
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
@ gneill: I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this correctly but since I was given 1000 loops per meter, would I have to multiply this by the length (0.1 m) in order to just get the number of loops (N)?
 
monnapomona said:
@ gneill: I'm not sure if I'm thinking about this correctly but since I was given 1000 loops per meter, would I have to multiply this by the length (0.1 m) in order to just get the number of loops (N)?

That would be logical, right?