Calculate the mass of CO2 in a mixture

In summary, the question asks for the mass of CO2 in a mixture containing 1.5kg of N2 and 1kg of O2, with a total pressure of 1.5bar, volume of 2m^3, and temperature of 293K. The equation used to solve this problem is Pv=nRT, where n is the number of moles of ideal gas present. By rearranging the equation and using the known values, the number of moles of CO2 can be found and converted back to mass.
skaboy607

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the mass of CO2 in a mixture where there is 1.5kg of N2 and 1kg of O2 present. The total pressure of the mixture is 1.5bar, the volume is 2m^3 and the temperature is 293K. I also know the cv values for the constituents.

Homework Equations

I know lots of equation but they none of them are for just one unknown.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried finding the volumetric analysis of the mixture but it all depends on knowing that one mass which I can't find?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

How many moles of nitrogen and oxygen are present? How many moles of ideal gases need to be present in that volume to produce the given pressure?

Thanks, I sorted it in the end using the equation Pv=nRT, rearranged to find n and then knowing that sum of n=n02+nN2+nCO2. Rearranged to find nCO2 and then converted back to mass. Pretty sure that's what you suggested anyway.
Thanks

What is the formula for calculating the mass of CO2 in a mixture?

The formula for calculating the mass of CO2 in a mixture is: mass of CO2 = total mass of mixture * (percentage of CO2 / 100).

How do I determine the total mass of a mixture?

To determine the total mass of a mixture, you will need to weigh the entire mixture using a scale. Make sure to record the mass in units of grams (g) or kilograms (kg).

What is the percentage of CO2 in a mixture?

The percentage of CO2 in a mixture is the amount of CO2 present in the mixture relative to the total mass of the mixture. It is usually expressed as a percentage (%) and can be calculated by dividing the mass of CO2 by the total mass of the mixture and multiplying by 100.

How do I convert the mass of CO2 to other units?

To convert the mass of CO2 to other units, you will need to use a conversion factor. For example, to convert from grams (g) to kilograms (kg), you would divide the mass in grams by 1000. To convert from kilograms (kg) to grams (g), you would multiply the mass in kilograms by 1000.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated mass of CO2 in a mixture?

The accuracy of the calculated mass of CO2 in a mixture can be affected by several factors, such as human error in measuring the mass of the mixture, variations in the composition of the mixture, and changes in temperature or pressure during the calculation.