1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the mass of CO2 in a mixture

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to calculate the mass of CO2 in a mixture where there is 1.5kg of N2 and 1kg of O2 present. The total pressure of the mixture is 1.5bar, the volume is 2m^3 and the temperature is 293K. I also know the cv values for the constituents.

2. Relevant equations

I know lots of equation but they none of them are for just one unknown.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried finding the volumetric analysis of the mixture but it all depends on knowing that one mass which I cant find?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Thermodynamics-Mixtures

How many moles of nitrogen and oxygen are present? How many moles of ideal gases need to be present in that volume to produce the given pressure?

4. Apr 28, 2009 #3
    Re: Thermodynamics-Mixtures

Thanks, I sorted it in the end using the equation Pv=nRT, rearranged to find n and then knowing that sum of n=n02+nN2+nCO2. Rearranged to find nCO2 and then converted back to mass. Pretty sure thats what you suggested anyway.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook