Calculate the mass of CO2 in a mixture

  • Thread starter Thread starter skaboy607
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Co2 Mass Mixture
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
skaboy607
Messages
103
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I need to calculate the mass of CO2 in a mixture where there is 1.5kg of N2 and 1kg of O2 present. The total pressure of the mixture is 1.5bar, the volume is 2m^3 and the temperature is 293K. I also know the cv values for the constituents.

Homework Equations



I know lots of equation but they none of them are for just one unknown.

The Attempt at a Solution



I have tried finding the volumetric analysis of the mixture but it all depends on knowing that one mass which I can't find?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


How many moles of nitrogen and oxygen are present? How many moles of ideal gases need to be present in that volume to produce the given pressure?
 


Thanks, I sorted it in the end using the equation Pv=nRT, rearranged to find n and then knowing that sum of n=n02+nN2+nCO2. Rearranged to find nCO2 and then converted back to mass. Pretty sure that's what you suggested anyway.
Thanks