Calculate the sparameters of a coplanar stripline structure

• Thread starter hadihyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the S-parameters of a coplanar stripline structure with specific dimensions and fed with a specific power. The conversation discusses the use of different types of transmission lines and clarifies the specifics of the structure, including the substrate and feeding method. The book "Coplanar waveguide circuits..." by Rainee Simons is recommended as a resource for finding the formulas to calculate S-parameters. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the difference between characteristic impedance and wave impedance when calculating S-parameters.
hadihyd
how to calculate the sparameters of a coplanar stripline structure with 434microns breath 45microns height and 1950microns length fed with 1Win TE10 mode at 35GHz...

can some one help me

regards..

Engineering news on Phys.org

That question makes no sense.
First of all, are you asking about a coplanar waveguide OR a stripline (they are different types of transmission lines)? since you haven't specified a gap to the groundplane I am guessing you mean the latter? Also, is the metal REALLY 45 microns thick? And what kind of substrate are you using?

Secondly, neither type will -as far as I know- support a TE10 mode...

Thirdly, how are you feeding the line? With some sort of waveguide-to-stripline transition?

Hi
thanx for the reply... sorry for not putting the question clear enough...

i am trying to design a coplanar stripline structure in comsol multiphysics by importing the structure from the orcad pcb design tool the structure has 3 layers the dielectric as rogers 3003 with Er=3 of height 250 microns and above this is the 2 striplines of height 45microns and width of 434 microns with 366 microns apart... above this is the air gap of 600microns, the length of the entire structure is 1950microns. Port one is fed with 1 watt. I annalysed the struct in comsol and obtained the results of s-para at 35GHz, now i want to compute the s-parameters in theory... so as to verify the results...

regards

OK, now I understand what you mean. So it really is a coplanar stripline (a.k.a. a coupled MSLine), the fact that you did not specify the gap or the substrate me think that you really meant an ordinary stripline.

Anyway, I put your numbers into TxLine (freeware, you can download it) and I get that the impedance is 62 Ohm and the electrical length 131 degrees at 35 GHz.
From this you should be able to calculate the S parameters yourself. Note that I don't think you can expect analytical solutions to be very accurate here (meaning TXline will be off), especially with metal that thick.

Also, if you want to read about the theory and check the formulas yourself I would recommend "Coplanar waveguide circuits..." by Rainee Simons.

i referred the book u recomended. but could not find thwe formulas to compute the s-parameters with parameters i said before (dimentions and the input power).please help me in finding s-parameters

regards

I am pretty sure the formulas for calculating the impedance and electrical length of coupled MS can be found in that book, but I'll double check when I am back in my office on Monday.

Note that I am assuming you know how the compute the S-parameters once you have the impedance of the line. If you don't know how to do that I would (as usual) recommend "Microwave Engineering" by Pozar.
Although you should be able to find that information in just about any book on microwave engineering, it is pretty basic.

btw, note that I am assuming that you are interested in TEM modes here; not TE01 as in your orignal question. A coupled MS line will -as far as I know- not support a TE01 mode (for a TE01 mode you would use something like a circular waveguide, i.e. a pipe)

yes you are right these formulas are in the book, but i have no idea how to calculate the s-parameters from impedance... i am not stong in basics and i am working first time on this topic...

and your are right i am working with TEM mode as only this supports the Coplanar structure

it would be great if u can provide me the formulas for S-parameter from wave impedancei have one more question that when when u say impedance that's characteristic impedance or wave impedance

1. What is a coplanar stripline structure?

A coplanar stripline structure is a type of transmission line used in high frequency electronic circuits. It consists of a center conductor sandwiched between two ground planes on the same plane, hence the term "coplanar".

2. Why do we need to calculate the s-parameters of a coplanar stripline structure?

Calculating the s-parameters of a coplanar stripline structure allows us to understand its electrical characteristics and performance. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing high frequency circuits.

3. How are s-parameters related to the coplanar stripline structure?

S-parameters, or scattering parameters, are a set of values used to describe the behavior of a circuit at a specific frequency. They define the relationship between the input and output signals of the coplanar stripline structure and provide valuable information about its impedance, reflection, and transmission properties.

4. What factors affect the s-parameters of a coplanar stripline structure?

The s-parameters of a coplanar stripline structure are affected by various factors such as the physical dimensions of the structure, the material properties of the conductors and dielectric, and the frequency of the input signal.

5. How do we calculate the s-parameters of a coplanar stripline structure?

The s-parameters of a coplanar stripline structure can be calculated using various methods and software tools, such as electromagnetic simulation software or network analyzers. These tools use mathematical models and equations to simulate the behavior of the structure and determine its s-parameters.