Calculating a) and Baffled by b): A Math Challenge

In summary, the professor said that the Poisson's ratio corresponds to the applied force, and that the Yield Strength corresponds to this force.
menotu3169
Homework Statement
A cylindrical steel specimen 350mm long is to be subjected to a tensile load of 10KN. The modulus of elasticity is 207GPA, Yield Strength is 415 MPa, and Poisson's ratio is 0.30
Determine
a)The maximum elastic elongation
b)the reduction in diameter
Relevant Equations
stress = Force / Area
strain = Stress / Modulus of Elasticity
Poisson's ratio = transverse stress / longitudinal stress
I was able to calculate a), and got 0.7mm
But I have no idea where to even start with b)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been awhile since done these types of calculations, but I believe you need cross sectional area. I assume that you have this information since you were able to calculate the elongation.

Likes menotu3169 and Lnewqban
scottdave said:
It's been awhile since done these types of calculations, but I believe you need cross sectional area. I assume that you have this information since you were able to calculate the elongation.
I was not given the area or the diameter, which is why I am having trouble with the question

Could it be percentage?

menotu3169 said:
I was not given the area or the diameter, which is why I am having trouble with the question
What formulas did you use to get the 0.7mm ?

Poisson's ratio is usually defined as the ratio of strains, not stresses (although this shouldn't matter if you're in the elastic regime). I think the tensile load of 10 kN that OP listed is a red herring. The yield strength and the elastic modulus allow you to calculate the maximum strain (elongation) of the material before plastic deformation sets in. This strain will be a percentage elongation which can be used to find a length (which the OP seems to have done correctly). The Poisson's ratio is then just the ratio of transverse strain to axial strain, with a negative sign out front because most materials shrink transversely when you pull them axially.

• Love
Likes scottdave, menotu3169, Chestermiller and 2 others
Spoke with the professor and got the solution. Seems like it is just a poorly worded question. The question was worded exactly as I have it in the original post.
Solution:
A=10000/415=24.09 mm2
d=5.54 mm
change in length = 415/207000*350=0.7 mm
change in diameter = 415/207000*(-0.3)*5.54=-0.003 mm

This seems to indicate that the Yield Strength corresponds to the applied force of 10kN, which in my opinion is not obvious from the question.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Likes scottdave and Lnewqban

1. How do I calculate "a" in this math challenge?

To calculate "a", you need to use the given formula and substitute the values of the variables. Make sure to follow the correct order of operations and use a calculator if needed.

2. What is the purpose of calculating "a" and "b" in this challenge?

The purpose of calculating "a" and "b" is to solve the math challenge and find the values of the variables that satisfy the given equations. This will help in understanding the relationships between the variables and how they affect the overall outcome.

3. I am confused about what "b" represents in this challenge. Can you explain?

In this challenge, "b" represents a constant value that is used in the given equations. It is a fixed number that does not change and is used to help solve for "a".

4. How do I know if my calculated values for "a" and "b" are correct?

You can check your calculated values by substituting them back into the original equations and seeing if they satisfy the equations. If they do, then your values are correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equations and see if the calculated values fall on the same points.

5. Is there a specific method or trick to solve this math challenge?

There is no specific method or trick to solve this challenge. It requires a good understanding of algebra and the ability to manipulate equations to solve for unknown variables. Practice and patience are key in solving math challenges like this.