Homework Help: Calculating Moment of Inertia & Radius of Gyration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the moment of inertia using the formula for radius of gyration. The parallel axis theorem is also mentioned. The main point of confusion is how to account for acceleration and distance in the moment calculation. The conversation ends with the agreement that the final answer is angular acceleration * the moment about the hip.
lupinpooter

Homework Statement

3KMRh.jpg

eFqdu.jpg

Oiq2y.jpg

Homework Equations

radius of gyration:
r = root (I/m)
I = moment of inertia
m = mass

parallel axis theorem given above

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I think the moment about CM is just m*0.24^2, but after that, I'm less sure.
Is the moment about the hip just m*0.42^2 + m*0.24^2?

If so, it's taking the acceleration and the distance to the toe into account that I'm having difficulty with. Is it just F = ma? If so, is the m taken from the moment of inertia at the hip, or the toe? I figure the distance to the toe must be significant, but I don't know how to account for it.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
lupinpooter said:
Okay, so I think the moment about CM is just m*0.24^2, but after that, I'm less sure.
Is the moment about the hip just m*0.42^2 + m*0.24^2?
Yes, you've got it.

If so, it's taking the acceleration and the distance to the toe into account that I'm having difficulty with. Is it just F = ma? If so, is the m taken from the moment of inertia at the hip, or the toe?
How would you write the equivalent of F = ma for rotational motion?
I figure the distance to the toe must be significant, but I don't know how to account for it.
Given the tangential acceleration, how would you find the angular acceleration?

Doc Al said:
Yes, you've got it.

How would you write the equivalent of F = ma for rotational motion?

Given the tangential acceleration, how would you find the angular acceleration?

Okay, maybe it's best to do the last two bits in reverse order;
if the tangential acceleration is 18m/s^2, and the radius is 1m, is the angular acceleration also 18 radians/s^2?

Then is the moment: angular acceleration * the moment about the hip?
And that's the final answer?

lupinpooter said:
Okay, maybe it's best to do the last two bits in reverse order;
if the tangential acceleration is 18m/s^2, and the radius is 1m, is the angular acceleration also 18 radians/s^2?
Right!

Then is the moment: angular acceleration * the moment about the hip?
And that's the final answer?
Right again.

Awesome,
thanks man, I really appreciate it.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the object and how the mass is distributed around the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and squared distance from the axis of rotation. This can be expressed as I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the particle, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the radius of gyration?

The radius of gyration is the distance from the axis of rotation at which the entire mass of an object can be concentrated to produce the same moment of inertia as the object's actual distribution of mass. It is denoted as k and is calculated as k = √(I/m), where I is the moment of inertia and m is the total mass of the object.

4. How is the radius of gyration used in engineering?

In engineering, the radius of gyration is used to determine the stiffness of a structure or component. It is also used in the design of rotating machinery to ensure proper balance and minimize vibrations.

5. How can I find the moment of inertia and radius of gyration for a complex object?

For complex objects, the moment of inertia and radius of gyration can be found by breaking the object down into smaller, simpler components and using the parallel and perpendicular axis theorems to calculate their individual moments of inertia. These can then be summed to find the total moment of inertia and the radius of gyration can be calculated from this value.