1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating a moment required, using radius of gyration and parallel axis theorem

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3KMRh.jpg
    eFqdu.jpg
    Oiq2y.jpg

2. Relevant equations

radius of gyration:
    r = root (I/m)
    I = moment of inertia
    m = mass

parallel axis theorem given above

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so I think the moment about CM is just m*0.24^2, but after that, I'm less sure.
    Is the moment about the hip just m*0.42^2 + m*0.24^2?

If so, it's taking the acceleration and the distance to the toe into account that I'm having difficulty with. Is it just F = ma? If so, is the m taken from the moment of inertia at the hip, or the toe? I figure the distance to the toe must be significant, but I don't know how to account for it.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you've got it.

How would you write the equivalent of F = ma for rotational motion?
    Given the tangential acceleration, how would you find the angular acceleration?

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3
    Okay, maybe it's best to do the last two bits in reverse order;
    if the tangential acceleration is 18m/s^2, and the radius is 1m, is the angular acceleration also 18 radians/s^2?

Then is the moment: angular acceleration * the moment about the hip?
    And that's the final answer?

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right!

Right again.

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    Awesome,
    thanks man, I really appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook