Calculating a velocity formula using air resistance

In summary, the data suggests that the coefficient of restitution decreases as the height increases, subverting the theoretical results initially proposed. This could be due to the air resistance that the ball encounters or to the impact speed. It is unclear how to find the coefficient of restitution in this case, and a formula that integrates air resistance would be helpful.
NickMitch
Homework Statement
I am conducting an in-class practical investigation where I am investigating whether altering the drop height of a ball will affect the coefficient of restitution.
I have completed all the trials however, the data suggest that the coefficient of restitution decreases as the height increases, subverting the theoretical results initially proposed. I hypothesised that this was due to the air resistance that the ball encounters and that as the height increases, so does the air resistance. For this experiment to be valid, there would need to be only one independent variable but now, there are two (drop height and air resistance).
To make a valid experiment, I would need a formula that integrates air resistance to calculate the velocity of the initial and final bounce height of the ball when dropped, forming the coefficient of restitution.
What can this formula be and how can it be derived from other formulas?
Relevant Equations
K = mg/v2
V = root2gh
Yeah, not sure what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
NickMitch said:
Problem Statement: I am conducting an in-class practical investigation where I am investigating whether altering the drop height of a ball will affect the coefficient of restitution.
I have completed all the trials however, the data suggest that the coefficient of restitution decreases as the height increases, subverting the theoretical results initially proposed. I hypothesised that this was due to the air resistance that the ball encounters and that as the height increases, so does the air resistance. For this experiment to be valid, there would need to be only one independent variable but now, there are two (drop height and air resistance).
To make a valid experiment, I would need a formula that integrates air resistance to calculate the velocity of the initial and final bounce height of the ball when dropped, forming the coefficient of restitution.
What can this formula be and how can it be derived from other formulas?
Relevant Equations: K = mg/v2
V = root2gh

Yeah, not sure what to do
It could also be that the coefficient is less at higher impact speeds. See e.g. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/36/1/012038/pdf, near the bottom of page 2.

For drag, probably should assume quadratic. Can you write the differential equation for the speed?

Likes NickMitch and CWatters
Do you know formula that can integrate air resistance to find velocity?
Possible methods to find that would also help.
Keep in mind, this is year 11 physics

NickMitch said:
Possible equation?
Not sure what you are asking. Are you asking me to provide the equation?
I think you can make an attempt. Suppose the drag force is cv2 where v is the velocity and c is some constant. What is the sum of forces on the falling ball? What is the resulting acceleration?

1. How do you calculate the air resistance for an object?

The air resistance for an object can be calculated using the formula Fd = ½ρAv2, where ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

2. What is the role of air resistance in determining an object's velocity?

Air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. The greater the air resistance, the slower the object's velocity will be.

3. How does the velocity formula for air resistance differ from the basic velocity formula?

The basic velocity formula, v = d/t, only takes into account an object's speed and the time it takes to travel a certain distance. The velocity formula for air resistance also includes the effects of air resistance on an object's motion.

4. Can air resistance ever increase an object's velocity?

No, air resistance always acts to decrease an object's velocity. However, as an object's velocity increases, so does the force of air resistance.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the velocity formula for air resistance?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the velocity formula for air resistance, such as changes in air density, variations in the object's shape or size, and external factors like wind or turbulence.