Calculating Acceleration of a Sailboat Using Wind and Water Forces

• Thread starter Touchme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the force exerted by wind on a sailboat is proportional to the component of wind velocity perpendicular to the sail and approximately perpendicular to the sail. The proportionality constant for a 900 kg sailboat is 550. When a 17 knot wind (1 knot = 0.514 m/s) is blowing to the east, the initial acceleration of the sailboat can be solved by finding the perpendicular wind velocity, calculating the force exerted by the sail, and then separating it into its components. The force exerted by water on the keel and the drag force are not required to solve for the initial acceleration. The final answer is approximately 2.312 m/s^2.
Touchme
The force exerted by the wind on a sailboat is approximately perpendicular to the sail and proportional to the component of the wind velocity perpendicular to the sail. For the 900 kg sailboat shown in Figure P4.54, the proportionality constant is given below.

F(sail) = 550V(wind)

Water exerts a force along the keel (bottom) of the boat that prevents it from moving sideways, as shown in the figure. Once the boat starts moving forward, water also exerts a drag force backwards on the boat, opposing the forward motion. If a 17 knot wind (1 knot = 0.514 m/s) is blowing to the east, what is the initial acceleration of the sailboat?

There is a given diagram with the Force of the keel pointing west and the Force of the sail is pointing northeast with an angle of 30. The force of the sail is 4805.9 N. I was thinking that the force of the keel is negligible because the wind counters its effect. So I use the formula F=ma to solve for the acceleration. a = 4805.9 / 900 = 5.33 m/s^2
However that is inccorect. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of the wind does not point exlusively along the x-axis; you'll need to break it into its components.

Also, the problem says there's drag pointing in the opposite direction of the wind, so that will reduce acceleration: remember, it's not that [tex]F=ma[/tex], its that [tex]\Sigma F=ma[/tex], sigma being the sum of all forces (along a given axis, which gives acceleration along a given axis)

Without the figure it's hard to tell, but where is the cos(30) or sin(30) (depending on the diagram)?

the angle 30 is between the y-axis of the boat and the sail. the boat is pointing north. that if u draw a horizontal line between the boat, the sail is southeast of the point of origin.

I'm guessing this is vital information "to the component of the wind velocity perpendicular to the sail." Since the wind velocity is east, we have to find the wind velocity perpendicular. V = 10.089. Then I plug it into the given formula and got F(sail) = 5549.4 N.

The components are Fy = 2774.7 and Fx = 4805.9. The only problem I have is how do I solve for the force the water is exerting on the boat. Help please.

Last edited:
The wording of the problem is unclear to me. Is the velocity of the wind due east or at that 30 degree angle in the diagram?
Also, I don't suppose the text gives any additional info about drag? (After all, why would you withold part of the question? You don't want to pop out at us yelling, "Surprise!" You want to solve the problem. Shame. Well, hope springs eternal...)

I think the drag force is not required because the question is asking for the initial acceleration... but yea that's all the info that is given. Ok, I'll attach the diagram and Force of wind on sail equation. How do I get F(keel) or the force exerted by water. Better yet, how do I solve this problem...

Attachments

• p4-54.gif
    p4-54.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 820
  • Equation.gif
    Equation.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
My thinking is this, I fouind the wind velocity perpendicular to the sail. With that velocity, I plugged it into the equation. I obtained the Fsail. Then I separated Fsail into X and Y components. The problem is with Fkeel and whether or not the drag force is required. I hope someone can help me finish this or at least guide me towards the answer, i'll be back soon, class now. Thanks

edit: Ok, I got the answer but I don't understand the steps in acquiring the answer. Ans is 2.312 m/s^2

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Acceleration of a Sailboat Using Wind and Water Forces

1. What is the force that propels a sailboat?

The main force that propels a sailboat is the wind. As the wind blows against the sail, it creates a force called lift, which pushes the sailboat forward.

2. How does the size and shape of a sail affect its force?

The size and shape of a sail can greatly affect the force it creates. A larger sail will capture more wind and produce a larger force, while a smaller sail will produce less force. The shape of the sail also plays a role, with curved sails being more efficient at capturing wind and producing force than flat sails.

3. How do different points of sail affect the force on a sailboat?

The force on a sailboat will vary depending on the point of sail, or the direction the boat is traveling in relation to the wind. For example, sailing directly into the wind (close-hauled) will produce a different force than sailing with the wind directly behind (running). The force will also vary depending on the angle of the sail in relation to the wind.

4. What is the role of the keel in a sailboat's force?

The keel, which is a fin-like structure attached to the bottom of the sailboat, plays a crucial role in creating force. As the wind pushes against the sail, the keel helps to prevent the boat from being pushed sideways and instead allows it to move forward. The shape and size of the keel can also affect the amount of force it creates.

5. How do other factors such as water currents and waves affect the force on a sailboat?

Water currents and waves can create additional forces on a sailboat, which can either help or hinder its movement. For example, a strong current can aid in propelling the boat forward, while a strong wave may cause it to slow down. The direction and strength of these external forces should be taken into account when navigating a sailboat.