Sailboats providing their own wind

In summary, the cartoon scene in question involved Wile E. Coyote trying to create forward motion using a fan, but the fan's reverse thrust kept the boat stationary.
fleeker
TL;DR Summary
If you aimed a fan on a boat at its own sails, could it blow the boat forward?
I happened to be watching this cartoon and this one scene seriously bothered me...

This... just feels like it wouldn't be a workable solution. Am I wrong?

I can't say I perfectly understand how fans or propellers work, but I would imagine that by pushing air or water in one direction, equal force is created in the opposite direction for the base. Thus how a boat moves forward by pushing water back, or a plane moves forward by pushing air back...

In this case, pushing air forward towards a sail should push the boat backward, and the sail catching that created air-current should then counteract that, creating forward force roughly evening things out and keeping the boat stationary.

Am I wrong? When stuff like this is done under the masquerade of an educational series I can't help but wonder if they might be trying to troll adults who watch this or get them pestered by angry kids who can't make it work.

Likes scottdave, atyy, OmCheeto and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Your intuition is correct; Wile E. Coyote has done extensive research on "cartoon physics."

Likes DaveE, davenn, sysprog and 2 others
No. Your question borders on perpetual motion, but it is not PMM if the fan is powered by batteries.

But again no. The fan's wind on the sails would produce a forward thrust, but the fan blade would produce a reverse thrust. Think of the fan like the propeller on a single engine airplane, but this propeller blows in the wrong direction for forward thrust.

Saying it again with other words, if you hang a parachute behind a propeller airplane, it will not fly backwards.

Likes hutchphd and phinds
fleeker said:
...roughly evening things out and keeping the boat stationary...
The key word here being "roughly". Depending on how the sail is shaped the boat can go forward, but it's not as efficient, as just using the propeller.

• Informative
Likes scottdave, atyy, tech99 and 5 others
A.T. said:
how the sail is shaped the boat can go forward, but it's not as efficient, as just using the propeller.
"Balloon" does not equal "propeller."

Likes davenn
Bystander said:
"Balloon" does not equal "propeller."
Did you watch the whole video before replying? Go to 4:00 min.

Likes Dale
Don't have to; delta P goes from non-zero before to zero after; ergo movement. A fan/propeller starts from delta P equals zero and ends at delta P equals zero; ergo no movement.

• Sad
Likes DEvens and hutchphd
It can be done in theory, using a principle known as entrainment.

Even though the fan is attached to the boat, and pushes back with equal force, the air is viscous, and carries some air next to it along for the ride. You can get a little forward motion (if you angle the sail right), but its very inefficient.

It does not violate conservation of energy, since, after all, you are adding energy into the system, by whatever powers the fan. And it doesn't violate Newton;s Laws of motion because it's not a closed system.

This has been demonstrated.

Likes OmCheeto and sysprog
Bystander said:
Don't have to
Yeah, just ignore reality.

Likes nasu and Dale
Bystander said:
A fan/propeller starts from delta P equals zero and ends at delta P equals zero; ergo no movement.

Does a jet engine counts as a fan? Than google for thrust reversal. A sail can do this job as well (but it is very ineficcient).

Likes atyy, vanhees71, anorlunda and 2 others
DaveC426913 said:
It can be done in theory, using a principle known as entrainment.
It's much simpler. Replace the sail with a board, and let the passenger collect balls from the ground and throw them at the board, so they bounce off and leave with backwards momentum. The boat gets the opposite forward momentum.

Likes tech99, hmmm27 and sysprog
A.T. said:
It's much simpler.
Sure, but that's not the ask.

A.T. said:
The boat gets the opposite forward momentum.
..., after losing momentum to the ground as the passenger scoops them up; net zero.

I think you may be missing the point. It is supposed to be instantly recognizable as impossible. That’s why it’s funny when it works. It’s exactly like a cartoon character picking themselves up by their bootstraps.

Likes russ_watters and Bystander
Bystander said:
..., after losing momentum to the ground as the passenger scoops them up; net zero.
Not if the ball is rolling backwards after it lands. The ball has a acquired negative momentum from somewhere.

Ibix said:
negative momentum from somewhere.
..., and that would be...?

Bystander said:
..., and that would be...?
The only other entity in the experiment is the boat, so the boat's forward momentum must have increased. What else could it be?

Ibix said:
so the boat's forward momentum must have increased. What else could it be?
Bootstrap violation of "conservation of momentum?"

DrStupid said:
Does a jet engine counts as a fan? Than google for thrust reversal. A sail can do this job as well (but it is very ineficcient).
My Daddy taught his kids enough about tacking into the wind -- having the wind blowing full face opposite against your intended direction is very pleasing when it's compared to being becalmed --

"Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink."

From The Rime of Ancient Mariner, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Likes Nik_2213
Myth busters did this:

Likes tech99, russ_watters, OmCheeto and 2 others
Here's a video of someone displaying a method by which a fan can be employed to propel a boat, which method is not as ludicrous as trying to impel a sail with a not-especially-dissimilar fan . . .

Bystander said:
Thought this had been discussed previously; guess the provoking cartoon was Finding Nemo.
It's an open system. The air enters, is pushed by fan, is pushed by sail and exits. It need not exit at zero velocity. Hence thrust reversers as have been mentioned already.

Likes hutchphd
Bystander said:
... net zero.
The balls end up moving backward.
The boat ends up moving forward.
The net momentum is zero.

Bystander said:
Bootstrap violation of "conservation of momentum?"
The boats movement here is a consequence of conservation of momentum, not a violation.

Last edited:
Likes cjl and nasu
However, if you have a windmill on a boat, driving a water propeller, it can push the boat against the wind.

Likes Nik_2213
tech99 said:
. . .it can push the boat against the wind.
Aah!Then you'd have more wind to drive the windmill. . . so you could charge the

battery, too ??.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
Lol. . . thank you. . 👍

1573111483412.png

Likes OmCheeto
tech99 said:
However, if you have a windmill on a boat, driving a water propeller, it can push the boat against the wind.

As shown below. But that is externally generated wind. So it's not what the OP is asking about.

OCR said:
Aah!
Then you'd have more wind to drive the windmill. . . so you could charge the

battery, too ??
Yes, with externally generated wind relative to the surface you can put some of its energy into a battery this way.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
It's an open system.
We need to negotiate just what are the boundaries of the system; fan, fan + sail, fan + infinite sail (massless), fan + infinite source of air, fan + finite source of air, energy source, et cetera...

Going to require a little time to get my thoughts organized/ducks in a row; the problems of "cartoon physics" require a few more constraints than just "the intuitively obvious."

Just for laughs, I'll recommend Niven's Flying Sorcerers. The mis-applications of "intuition" to aerodynamics and propulsion systems are a little more common than just mine.

Likes jbriggs444 and DaveC426913
tech99 said:
There was a guy in Camden Maine who had such a craft...this must have been thirty years ago. A turnable windmill attached to the boat propellor. It did actually work and would even travel upwind (if memory serves) but it was not very fast and nobody would write poems about her. As I recall I did a calculation at the time which showed you could go upwind at half the windspeed (ignoring hull friction and assuming a "perfect " propeller). I note that the design did not catch on.

Bystander said:
The mis-applications of "intuition" to aerodynamics and propulsion systems are a little more common than just mine.
You can consider throwing balls to see that the concept doesn't violate momentum conservation. Aerodynamics then just makes it less efficient, but not impossible.

hutchphd said:
As I recall I did a calculation at the time which showed you could go upwind at half the windspeed (ignoring hull friction and assuming a "perfect " propeller).
There is no such speed limit for going directly upwind or downwind in terms of true wind multiple. It only depends on the efficiency, which imposes practical limits:

https://orbit.dtu.dk/fedora/objects/orbit:55484/datastreams/file_3748519/content

With less resistance on land more than twice the true wind was achieved in both directions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbird_(land_yacht)#Achievements

A.T. said:
There is no such speed limit for going directly upwind or downwind in terms of true wind multiple. It only depends on the efficiency, which imposes practical limits:

https://orbit.dtu.dk/fedora/objects/orbit:55484/datastreams/file_3748519/content

With less resistance on land more than twice the true wind was achieved in both directions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbird_(land_yacht)#Achievements
Very interesting references. I guess I assumed the Betz limit for my calculation...(it was a long while ago and not really my field! I remember wondering at the time why there was no such limit on a sail. ) Thanks much for the clarification.

hutchphd said:
Very interesting references. I guess I assumed the Betz limit for my calculation.
There is an old paper by Blackford, that derives a speed limit of 2 x windspeed, by assuming that the maximal upwind speed will be achieved at the Betz limit:

http://202.38.64.11/~cxyu/AJP_pushmepullyouboat.pdf
That assumption is never justified, and doesn't make much sense: The Betz limit only maximizes the energy extracted in the reference frame of the windmill. To maximize upwind speed you have to balance energy extraction with the drag of the windmill. Since drag doesn't play any role in the Betz limit, there is little reason to assume that it presents the optimum for this application.

Likes hutchphd
Bystander said:
Just for laughs, I'll recommend Niven's Flying Sorcerers. The mis-applications of "intuition" to aerodynamics and propulsion systems are a little more common than just mine.
Yep. Orbur and Wilville tried it both ways. The etymology of "Purple" was cute in that one too.

Likes Nik_2213 and DaveC426913
<h2>What is the concept behind sailboats providing their own wind?</h2><p>The concept behind sailboats providing their own wind is based on the principle of using the power of the wind to propel the boat forward. The sail acts as a wing, creating lift and generating forward motion as the wind passes over it.</p><h2>How do sailboats harness the power of the wind?</h2><p>Sailboats use a combination of the shape and angle of their sails, as well as the direction and strength of the wind, to harness the power of the wind. By adjusting the position of the sails, sailors can control the direction and speed of the boat.</p><h2>What factors affect a sailboat's ability to provide its own wind?</h2><p>The main factors that affect a sailboat's ability to provide its own wind are the size and shape of the sails, the direction and strength of the wind, and the design and weight of the boat. A well-designed sailboat with properly positioned sails can effectively use the power of the wind to propel itself forward.</p><h2>Can sailboats travel in any direction using their own wind?</h2><p>No, sailboats cannot travel in any direction using their own wind. They are limited by the direction and strength of the wind, as well as their own design and capabilities. Sailboats typically travel in a zigzag pattern, known as tacking, to reach their desired destination.</p><h2>Are there any disadvantages to sailboats providing their own wind?</h2><p>One potential disadvantage of sailboats providing their own wind is that they are highly dependent on weather conditions. If there is no wind or if the wind is too strong, sailboats may struggle to move or may even capsize. They also require skilled and experienced sailors to effectively navigate and control the boat in varying wind conditions.</p>

What is the concept behind sailboats providing their own wind?

The concept behind sailboats providing their own wind is based on the principle of using the power of the wind to propel the boat forward. The sail acts as a wing, creating lift and generating forward motion as the wind passes over it.

How do sailboats harness the power of the wind?

Sailboats use a combination of the shape and angle of their sails, as well as the direction and strength of the wind, to harness the power of the wind. By adjusting the position of the sails, sailors can control the direction and speed of the boat.

What factors affect a sailboat's ability to provide its own wind?

The main factors that affect a sailboat's ability to provide its own wind are the size and shape of the sails, the direction and strength of the wind, and the design and weight of the boat. A well-designed sailboat with properly positioned sails can effectively use the power of the wind to propel itself forward.

Can sailboats travel in any direction using their own wind?

No, sailboats cannot travel in any direction using their own wind. They are limited by the direction and strength of the wind, as well as their own design and capabilities. Sailboats typically travel in a zigzag pattern, known as tacking, to reach their desired destination.

Are there any disadvantages to sailboats providing their own wind?

One potential disadvantage of sailboats providing their own wind is that they are highly dependent on weather conditions. If there is no wind or if the wind is too strong, sailboats may struggle to move or may even capsize. They also require skilled and experienced sailors to effectively navigate and control the boat in varying wind conditions.