Calculating Acceleration on a Slide with Kinetic Friction

In summary, at a playground, a child slides down a slide that makes a 42° angle with the horizontal direction. The coefficient of kinetic friction for the child sliding on the slide is 0.20. What is the magnitude of her acceleration during her sliding?
hakojackie
At a playground, a child slides down a slide that makes a 42° angle with the horizontal direction. The coefficient of kinetic friction for the child sliding on the slide is 0.20. What is the magnitude of her acceleration during her sliding? Ok so I tried to use the equation ax=-Uk*g to find the acceleration and that did not work any pointers on how to start this I drew a picture but that didnt help? I think the problem is missing some information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1, draw a picture and include all the forces.

Step 2, write a force balance with all the equations you think you might need

step 3, solve the equations

step 4, see if the answer is reasonable.

I think I understand what you mean by a force balance. (find each force and break it into its components) but with the only numbers being 42 degrees and .2 i am not sure how to find the components. I would use sin and cos but I don't know what to use as the magnitudes.

I think you need to draw a picture still.

So you don't have to wait to get approval, upload the picture to something like www.imageshack.cc[/URL] and then post the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a picture I am using the ground as my x-axis the normal force is perpindicular to the slide the wieght of the child is perpendicular to the ground and the friction is the opposite direction in which the child is sliding down the slide. I don't know how to make a picture like that

Ok, that sounds about right.

Now did you label the forces?

(As for making the picture, I was talking about something like MS-paint, but don't worry about it)

yes I labeled them with the name of the force but I have no values.

So you should have labeled:

-W
-N
-[itex]F_f[/tex]
-[itex] \theta [/tex]

Right?

Yes that is what I have

Ok, now what is the angle between W and the slide?

42 degrees?

48 is what is left from the right triangle. My teacher did an example similar to this in class and she said the angles were the same.

Maybe you misheard your teacher, but angle b is 48, and c is 42.

Angle 42 (c) is the one that is the same as the ramp, not angle 48 (b).

You need to learn how to come up with these angles. Dont rely on your teacher telling you what the angles are.

ok I know how to do that. What i need help with is how to do the problem I need a mass or some other number to put into my table so I can use sin and cos.

Don't fret, we are getting there. :smile:

I want to make sure you know this stuff becuase it is critical.

Now, we need to find out the normal force. Any Ideas?

Hint: Review what sin and cos mean in terms of a triangle.

nevermind I give up my homework is due.

What!? Why did you wait until the last minute to do it? :frown:

Related to Calculating Acceleration on a Slide with Kinetic Friction

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves over a surface. It is caused by the microscopic interactions between the surfaces of the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be set in motion. Kinetic friction is typically lower than static friction.

3. How is the kinetic friction of a slide calculated?

The kinetic friction of a slide can be calculated using the formula Fk = μkN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the object by the surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction depends on the materials of the object and the surface it is moving on.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the kinetic friction of a slide?

The angle of inclination, or the slope of the slide, can affect the kinetic friction by changing the normal force exerted on the object. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a decrease in the force of kinetic friction.

5. How can the kinetic friction of a slide be reduced?

The kinetic friction of a slide can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as plastic or Teflon, on the surface of the slide. Applying a lubricant, such as oil or water, can also reduce the force of kinetic friction. Additionally, reducing the angle of inclination can also decrease the kinetic friction of a slide.