Calculating angular speed of a ball after collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular speed after a collision of a ball and another mass, specifically in the case of a baseball bat hitting a ball. The concept of angular momentum and friction is brought up and it is mentioned that the rotation of the ball depends on the point of contact with the bat. The conversation also mentions that a predictable scenario with precise measurements would be needed to obtain an approximate result. Ultimately, this calculation involves various areas and concepts of physics, including angular momentum, friction, and elasticity.
Kariege
Hi,
I've been wondering is there anyway of calculating the angular speed of a ball after there is a collision of it and another mass. For example a baseball bat hitting the ball. I have not looked up on angular momentum, but is angular momentum involved in this? Based on common sense, I think that the spin of the baseball is made from the friction between the baseball and the bat. Is this true?
Which area/concept of physics is involved in this calculation?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not a predictable situation, the rotation of the ball depends on how far above or below the centerline of the ball the bat makes contact with. Another example is where you strike the cue ball with the tip of your pool stick in billiards, above the centerline and the cue ball spins faster than it would spin simply rolling. Hit it below the centerline and the cue will spin opposite the direction it rolls. You would have to arrange a predictable scenario with precise mass, velocity, rotation and trajectory of the ball as well as the force imposed by the bat at whatever point of contact and estimate the elasticity of the collision just to obtain an approximate result.

What is the formula for calculating angular speed after a collision?

The formula for calculating angular speed after a collision is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular speed in radians per second, v is the linear speed in meters per second, and r is the radius of the ball in meters.

What information do I need to know in order to calculate the angular speed after a collision?

In order to calculate the angular speed after a collision, you will need to know the linear speed of the ball before and after the collision, as well as the radius of the ball.

Can I use the same formula to calculate the angular speed for any type of collision?

Yes, the formula ω = v/r can be used to calculate the angular speed after any type of collision, as long as the linear speed and radius of the ball are known.

What units should I use when plugging in values for the formula?

It is important to use consistent units when plugging in values for the formula. The linear speed should be in meters per second (m/s), and the radius should be in meters (m). The resulting angular speed will be in radians per second (rad/s).

Is there a way to calculate the angular speed after a collision without knowing the linear speed?

Yes, you can calculate the angular speed after a collision using the formula ω = √(vi2 + vf2)/r, where vi is the initial linear speed and vf is the final linear speed. However, in most cases, both the initial and final linear speeds will need to be known in order to accurately calculate the angular speed.