Why Can We Only Calculate Average Speed During a Stone's Fall?

In summary, average speed is a measure of an object's speed over a period of time, calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. This can be calculated using the equation: average speed = total distance / total time. It is different from instantaneous speed, which is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed can be negative if the object is traveling in the opposite direction, and its units depend on the distance and time units used in the calculation.
snowdog301
1. Explain why we can only calculate a stone's average speed during its fall.

Hope someone can help, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi snowdog301! welcome to pf! :wink:

tell us what you think, and then we'll comment :smile:

Well, not sure really I am homeschooling my children and I could answer the other questions in the book but I want to make sure I get the correct answer so I can tell my children Twins age 14. Thanks

1. What is average speed?

Average speed is the measure of the distance traveled by an object divided by the time it took to travel that distance. It is represented by the equation: average speed = total distance / total time.

2. How do you calculate average speed?

To calculate average speed, you need to know the total distance traveled by an object and the total time it took to travel that distance. Then, you can use the equation: average speed = total distance / total time.

3. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the overall measure of an object's speed over a period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. Average speed takes into account the entire distance traveled and the total time, while instantaneous speed only looks at a specific point in time.

4. Can average speed be negative?

Yes, average speed can be negative. This means that the object is traveling in the opposite direction of the positive direction indicated in the calculation. For example, if an object travels 10 meters north and then 15 meters south, its average speed would be -5 meters per second.

5. What are the units for average speed?

The units for average speed depend on the distance and time units used in the calculation. For example, if distance is measured in kilometers and time is measured in hours, the average speed would be in kilometers per hour (km/hr). If distance is measured in meters and time is measured in seconds, the average speed would be in meters per second (m/s).