Calculating Ball Velocity: Cricketer to Wall

In summary, the distance from the cricketer to the wall is 70 metres across level ground and the ball reaches its maximum height of 30 metres as it passes directly above the wall. Both the height and distance are measured from the point at which the ball is hit by the cricketer. To calculate the vertical component of the ball's velocity at the point of release, the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as is used, resulting in a value of 24.3 m/s. The time taken for the ball to reach the highest point is 2.47 seconds, and the horizontal component of the ball's initial velocity is 28.34
imy786

Homework Statement

The distance from the Cricketer to the wall is 70 metres across level ground.
The ball reaches its maximum height of 30 metres as it passes directly above the wall

Both the height and the distance to the wall are measured from the point at which the ball is hit by the cricketer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.Calculate the vertical component of the ball's velocity at the point of hit.

2.Calculate the time taken for the ball to reach the highest point.

3.Hence find the horizontal component of the ball’s initial velocity

4.Use the answers to parts (1) and (3) to calculate the magnitude and direction
of the ball’s initial velocity and of its velocity at the highest point.

The cricketer stands back to a distance of 80 metres. When hitting now, the ball only just clears the top of the wall. Calculate the height of the wall.

Homework Equations

Will be completing 1 part at a time.

The Attempt at a Solution

1.Calculate the vertical component of the ball's velocity at the point of release.

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

u = ucosθ
v=0
s=70
a=-9.8

v^2 = u^2 + 2as
0= (ucosθ) ^2 - (19.6 x 70)

1372 = (ucosθ) ^2
37.04 = ucosθ

37.0 m/s is the vertical component of balls velocity. (is this correct for part 1).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is. I get 24.5 m/s for the vertical component of the velocity at the point of release.

Would be nice if you can tell me were i went wrong from my calculation above

I don't quite understand what you did there. Maybe you can expand a little on your reasoning. For one thing the distance that would enter into this calculation is 30m, not 70m. If we call the vertical component of the velocity v, then we can write the following equations

vt - (1/2)g(t)(t) = 30

t = v/g

where t is the time it takes to reach the highest point of the trajectory.

You used 70 as your displacement, but that displacement is horizontal. From your givens, the vertical displacement is 30, which when used gives an answer of 24.2 m/s for the vertical component of velocity at point of release.

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

u = ucosθ
v=0
s=30 (correction)
a=-9.8

v^2 = u^2 + 2as
0= (ucosθ) ^2 - (19.6 x 30)

588 = (ucosθ) ^2
24.3 m/s = ucosθ

24.3 m/s is the vertical component of balls velocity.

2.Calculate the time taken for the ball to reach the highest point.

v=u+at
0=24.3 - 9.8(t)

t = 24.3/9.8 = 2.47 seconds (is this correct for part 2)

duplicate post

Last edited:
Yeah.

If all possible, I would avoid using calculated data to find a further answer to a problem.

In this case, if you use the equation Δy = vo*t + 0.5*a*t2, and look at the problem in the other direction, the time it takes an object to drop 30 meters, the givens become:
Δy = -30
vo = 0 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s2

-30 = 0 * t + 0.5 * -9.8 * t2
-30 = -4.9 * t2
30/4.9 = t2
[itex]\sqrt{30/4.9}[/itex] = t
2.47s = t

So your answer was right, but say for instance you never corrected your answer for part a, you would have used the wrong vo in part b and have gotten time wrong as well.

U=U sinθ
a=0
s=30
v=0

s=ut+(1/2)a(t)(t)

v = 15 / (square root of 588 / 9.8)
=6.06 m/s

horizontal initial velocity is of 6.06m/s (is this correct for part 3)

duplicate post

vave = Δx/t (the horizontal component of velocity is constant)

Δx = 30m
t ≈ 2.47s (since time is the only common variable in a projectiles problem, it needs to be solved for then used)

vave = 30/2.47
vave ≈ 12.146
I'm unsure where the majority of the numbers you used in your equation came from.

The time taken to reach the highest point (i.e. t = 2.47 s) is the same as the time taken to reach the wall, so the horizontal component of initial velocity is simply 70m/t = 28 m/s since there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction.

U=U sinθ
a=0
s=30
v=0
t=2.47 seconds

s=ut+(1/2)a(t)(t)
30=U sinθ (2.47) + 0

30/2.47 = usinθ =12.146 m/s (so this is the solution for part 3)

That's right now.

answer to part (1) and (3)

ucosθ=24.3 m/s
usinθ =12.146 m/s

magnitude=√((24.3)&^2 + (12.146)^2 =

=√(590.49 + 147.53) = 27.16 m/s

tanθ = 12.146/24.3
θ=26.6 degrees is the direction

(is this correct for part 4)

duplicate

Actually, looking at what I did earlier, I noticed I used 30 instead of 70 for my change in x.
You did the same, probably from looking at my error. Redo the calculation you did for the horizontal component, but use 70 instead of 30.

U=U sinθ
a=0
s=70 (correction)
v=0
t=2.47 seconds

s=ut+(1/2)a(t)(t)
70=U sinθ (2.47) + 0

70/2.47 = usinθ =28.34 m/s (so this is the solution for part 3)

answer to part (1) and (3)

ucosθ=24.3 m/s
usinθ =28.34 m/s

magnitude=√((24.3)&^2 + (28.34)^2 =

=√(590.49 + 803.16) = 37.33 m/s

tanθ = 28.34/24.3
θ=49.4 degrees is the direction

(is this correct for part 4)

can someone PLEASE confirm part 3 and 4 to my solution is correct!

Thanks

can someone PLEASE confirm part 3 and 4 to my solution is correct!

Thanks

for vertical component=

u= usin theta right

and for horizontal

u= ucos theta

Would the highest point speed be V= O meters per second in the y direction of this projectile motion

1. How is ball velocity calculated in cricket?

Ball velocity in cricket is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h). It is calculated by dividing the distance the ball travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a radar gun or by using a formula that takes into account the distance and time.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a cricket ball?

The velocity of a cricket ball can be affected by various factors, including the speed and angle of the bowler's arm, the condition of the pitch, the type of ball being used, and external factors such as wind and temperature. The type of delivery, such as a fast or spin ball, can also impact the velocity of the ball.

3. How does a cricketer's technique impact the ball velocity?

A cricketer's technique can greatly affect the velocity of the ball. A well-trained and skilled cricketer with good coordination and body mechanics can generate more power and speed in their delivery, resulting in a higher ball velocity. On the other hand, poor technique can lead to a slower and less accurate delivery.

4. Can ball velocity be improved through training?

Yes, ball velocity can be improved through training. By focusing on techniques that generate more power and speed, as well as strengthening and conditioning exercises, a cricketer can increase their ball velocity. Additionally, practicing regularly and fine-tuning their technique can also help improve ball velocity over time.

5. How is ball velocity important in cricket?

Ball velocity is an important aspect of cricket as it affects the delivery of the ball and can impact the outcome of the game. A higher ball velocity can make it more difficult for the batter to hit the ball, increasing the chances of an out. It can also add excitement to the game, as fast deliveries are often more challenging and thrilling to watch.