Calculating Buoyancy Rate of Rise for a Ship

In summary, the formula for calculating the time it would take for an object to be raised up from a certain depth of water due to buoyancy would involve determining the equilibrium between the buoyant force and the resistive drag force. The transient portion of the object's movement may be small compared to the steady state portion, making it possible to approximate the time it would take to raise the object. However, there is a possibility that the solution may involve a series of calculus equations due to the rate of change of pressure as the object rises higher.
gloo
Can someone give me a formula or give an approximate approach to calculating the time it would take for an object to be raised up (due to buoyancy) from a certain depth of water?
For instance, take a ship (say it weighs 300,000kg and it's a rectangular shape with surface area of 100m square (10m by 10m). If i attach enough air ballons around the ship , what would be the variables and formula to use to get an approximate time it would take to raise the ship to the surface from say 100meters of water (sea water).

I assume that the the surface area of the ballons might be a factor too but let's just leave those out (say i put the underneath the ship). I am not concerned about the acceleration at the end destroying the ship near the surface. I am fearful of this solution turning into a series of calculus equations b/c of the rate of change of pressure as the ship goes higher.

Physics news on Phys.org
gloo said:
I am fearful of this solution turning into a series of calculus equations b/c of the rate of change of pressure as the ship goes higher.
I'm afraid this will be the case. It will be the same as an object falling through the atmosphere and reaching terminal velocity. The object will have a constant buoyant force acting upward, tending to increase its speed, however increase in speed will increase the resistance of the water. It will reach an equilibrium where the resistive drag force will equal the buoyant force. The transient portion may be small compared to the steady state portion, so you could probably get away with finding which speed through the water will give a drag force equal to the buoyant force.

The formula for calculating buoyancy force is Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid (in this case, sea water), V is the volume of the object submerged in the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

To calculate the time it would take for the ship to rise, we can use the equation d = 1/2at^2, where d is the distance traveled, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, d is the depth of the water (100 meters) and a is the acceleration due to buoyancy (calculated using the formula above).

Since the ship is rectangular, we can use the formula V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the ship. So, the volume of the ship is 10m x 10m x h.

Now, to find the time it would take for the ship to rise, we can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for t.

1/2at^2 = 100

Substituting in the values we have calculated, we get:

1/2(ρVg)t^2 = 100

Solving for t, we get:

t = √(200/ρVg)

We can plug in the values for density (since we are working with sea water, we can use an average density of 1025 kg/m^3), the volume of the ship (10m x 10m x h), and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

So, the formula for calculating the approximate time it would take for the ship to rise would be:

t = √(200/1025 x 10m x 10m x h x 9.8 m/s^2)

This formula takes into account the weight of the ship, the density of the fluid, and the depth of the water. However, as you mentioned, there are other factors that could affect the time it takes for the ship to rise, such as the surface area of the balloons and the acceleration at the end. To get a more accurate calculation, you may need to consider these factors and use a more complex equation that takes them into account.

Related to Calculating Buoyancy Rate of Rise for a Ship

1. How is buoyancy calculated for a ship?

Buoyancy is calculated by determining the volume of water displaced by the submerged portion of the ship's hull. This volume is then multiplied by the density of the water to find the weight of the displaced water, which is equal to the buoyant force acting on the ship.

2. What factors affect the buoyancy rate of rise for a ship?

The buoyancy rate of rise for a ship is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the hull, the displacement of the ship, and the density and temperature of the water. Other factors like cargo load and wave conditions can also impact the buoyancy rate of rise.

3. How is the buoyancy rate of rise used in ship design?

The buoyancy rate of rise is an important consideration in ship design, as it helps determine the stability and safety of the ship. By calculating the buoyancy rate of rise, designers can ensure that the ship will have enough buoyant force to stay afloat and maintain stability in different water conditions.

4. What is the difference between buoyancy and buoyancy rate of rise?

Buoyancy refers to the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object immersed in it, while buoyancy rate of rise specifically refers to the rate at which a ship rises or sinks in the water. Buoyancy rate of rise takes into account the weight and displacement of the ship, as well as the density of the water, to determine how quickly the ship will rise or sink.

5. What is the formula for calculating buoyancy rate of rise?

The formula for calculating buoyancy rate of rise is: (weight of displaced water - weight of ship) / (volume of ship x density of water). This formula takes into account the buoyant force acting on the ship and the weight of the ship, and then divides it by the volume of the ship and the density of the water to determine the rate of rise.