Calculating Center Movement on Spinning Turntable: Cockroach on DJ Turntable

• Thread starter pringle
  • Start date
In summary, a cockroach on a spinning turntable with angular velocity ##\omega## and a vertical uniform velocity ##v_{drift}## moves the center by ##\delta = \frac{v_{drift}}{\omega}##. There are no specific equations of motion given, but the problem involves a transformation from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates. It is unclear if the problem is 2D or 3D. Additional information is needed to fully understand and solve the problem.
pringle

Homework Statement

Basically there is a cockroach on a turntable (DJ Cockroach). The turntable is spinning with angular velocity $\omege$. In addition to that, there is a vertical uniform velocity $v_{drift}$. Need to show that the center is moved by $\delta = \frac{v_{drift}}{\omega}$.

Homework Equations

None given but there isn't all that many equations of motion anyway.

The Attempt at a Solution

I mean, I tried doing this in cartestsion but it just won't work out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here - let me help...
1... Basically there is a cockroach on a turntable (DJ Cockroach). The turntable is spinning with angular velocity ##\omega##. In addition to that, there is a vertical uniform velocity ##v_{drift}##. Need to show that the center is moved by $$\delta = \frac{v_{drift}}{\omega}$$

2... None given but there isn't all that many equations of motion anyway.
... just because there are none given does not mean there are none at all. This section is to help you think through what is required.

3...I mean, I tried doing this in cartesion but it just won't work out.
... all right, I won't insist you show us that effort here... I can imagine.
So what other coordinate systems do you know about and what sort of overall symmetry does the problem have?

Apart from that, I don't think there is enough information in the problem statement. Can you copy out the problem statement you are given word-for-word?
i.e. what is the cockroach doing on the turntable? Is the turntable oriented horizontally and slowly being lifted at ##v_{drift}##?

Bro I am sitting in a Plasma Physics class. I can do mechanics just fine. This problem is just mad. How do you relate the polar coordinates to cartesian coordinates

I mean via relative transformation

Pringle, if you can't provide a complete, unambiguous question with all required details then we are not in a position to help. We need to be able to understand the problem before we can know how to advise. Otherwise we'd just be guessing and hoping that advice given is relevant. Why take that chance?

In your opening post you state: "Need to show that the center is moved by ##\delta = \frac{v_{drift}}{\omega}##."

Can you at least clarify what that means? Moves why? When? Over some unspecified time period? Over some particular angular rotation of the platter?

pringle said:
Bro I am sitting in a Plasma Physics class. I can do mechanics just fine. This problem is just mad. How do you relate the polar coordinates to cartesian coordinates
Polar coordinates are usually for 2D systems. Is your problem only 2D?

There are 3D versions of polar coordinates though - the transformations are available online.
I suspect you will benifit from the cylindrical-polar version, but I don't really know because your problem statement is incomplete. It there some reason for not including all the information?

@pringle: How did you get on?

What is the meaning of "Need some super fast help"?

"Need some super fast help" means that someone requires immediate assistance or support in order to solve a problem or complete a task. It suggests that the situation is urgent and time is of the essence.

Why is "Need some super fast help" often used in a work or academic setting?

In these settings, there are often tight deadlines and high expectations for performance. Thus, when faced with a difficult task or problem, individuals may feel the need to ask for "super fast help" in order to meet these expectations and fulfill their responsibilities.

How can one provide "super fast help"?

Super fast help can be provided by being knowledgeable and efficient in the subject or task at hand. It also requires good communication and collaboration skills, as well as the ability to prioritize and work quickly and accurately under pressure.

What are the benefits of asking for "super fast help"?

Asking for "super fast help" can save time and prevent mistakes or delays in completing a task. It can also help individuals learn new skills or methods, and foster a sense of teamwork and support within a work or academic environment.

Are there any drawbacks to asking for "super fast help"?

One potential drawback is that constantly relying on "super fast help" may prevent individuals from developing their own problem-solving skills and becoming more independent. Additionally, if help is always readily available, it may lead to a lack of accountability and responsibility for one's own work.