Calculating Change in Velocity of 600kg Sports Car

In summary, the driver of a 600kg sports car, traveling at 40m/s, is able to bring the car to a stop before reaching a railroad crossing 250m away by applying the brakes which can supply a frictional force of 1200N. In the second conversation, a meter stick is found to balance at the 29.7cm mark when placed on a fulcrum, but when a 50g mass is attached at the 10cm mark, the fulcrum must be moved to the 39.2cm mark for balance. The mass of the meter stick can be found by using the equation F=ma and choosing a consistent direction for positive values. Once the correct force is used,
NMW
2) the driver of a 600kg sports car, heading directly for a railroad crossing 250m away, applies the brakes i a panic stop. the car is moving at 40m/s, and the brakes can supply a friction force of 1200N. a) how fast is the car moving when it reaches the crossing?

- i tried finding the change in time for this, thinking i could then find displacement from that, but it ended up as 2.5hours!
i then used f=ma and then average acceleration, got acceleration = 8... or neg 8... but then when i worked it out for change in velocity i got that the velocity was increasing, which can't be right seeing as the car is slowing down!?
any help appreciated!

3) a metre-stick is found to balance at the 29.7cm mark when placed on a fulcrum, when a 50g mass is attached at the 10cm mark the fulcrum must be moved to the 39.2 cm mark for balance. what is the mass of the meter stick?

- just plain stuck on this, tried about 3 different ways of attempting the question, but couldn't find one that suited! again, any help appreciated!

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
NMW said:
i then used f=ma and then average acceleration, got acceleration = 8... or neg 8...

If you define the positive direction to be the direction of motion, then the acceleration is indeed negative. But it sure isn't -8. Just divide F by m and you get:

[tex]a=\frac{F}{m}=\frac{-1200N}{600kg}[/tex]

You can finish that, right?

F = ma is the way to go. You just have to choose which direction is postive and keep everything consistent from there. Once you have F=ma you can integrate to get v and again to get x. This gives you three sets of equations specific to you problem that you can then use to get the answer.

thanks

ok, i think i have got this one... i was just using the wrong value for force, which was throwing it all out.. once using -2m/s^2 i put that into the v^2=v(initial)^2 + 2a (x-x(initial) or something along those lines... it then came out as 24.5m/s, which fits with the rest of the calculations in the question!
thanks! :)

What is change in velocity?

Change in velocity refers to the difference between an object's initial velocity and its final velocity. It is a measure of how much an object's speed and direction have changed over a period of time.

How is change in velocity calculated?

Change in velocity is calculated by subtracting the initial velocity from the final velocity. This can be represented by the equation Δv = vf - vi, where Δv is the change in velocity, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity.

Why is it important to calculate change in velocity for a sports car?

Calculating change in velocity for a sports car is important because it can help determine the car's acceleration and its ability to change speed and direction. It is also important for understanding the car's performance and handling.

What factors can affect the change in velocity of a sports car?

The change in velocity of a sports car can be affected by factors such as the car's mass, engine power, aerodynamics, and road conditions. These factors can impact the car's acceleration and deceleration, and ultimately its change in velocity.

How can change in velocity be used in real-world applications?

Change in velocity is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the force and impact of collisions in car accidents, determining the effectiveness of braking systems, and analyzing the performance of rockets and spacecraft. It is also an important concept in sports, particularly in racing and other high-speed events.