Calculating Charge Entering an Element: Q=6.667 C

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the charge entering an element from t=0s to t=2s, given that the current through the element is i = 2 A for 0<t<1 and i = 2t^2 A for t>1. The solution involves using the integral method and considering the fact that 1 ampere is equal to 1 coulomb per second. By integrating the current function and adding the values obtained for the two different time intervals, the correct answer of 6.667 C is obtained.
Wolverine31

Homework Statement

The current flowing through an element is i = 2 A for 0<t<1 and i = 2t^2 A for t>1
Calculate the charge entering the element from t=0s to t=2s.
Answer: 6.667 C.

Homework Equations

I used Q=t1∫t2 i dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve using integral method. but how to proceed here as for 0<t<1 i is constant and i am stuck. Are there any other methods.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think this is a very basic problem but still I cannot do it because i am a newbie and may be to need work harder. Sorry for consuming your time.

If the current is constant over a given time interval, how much charge is accumulated? Remember, 1 ampere = 1 coulomb / second.

Why did you chose the integral method to solve this problem if you cannot integrate a constant function?

SteamKing said:
If the current is constant over a given time interval, how much charge is accumulated? Remember, 1 ampere = 1 coulomb / second.

Why did you chose the integral method to solve this problem if you cannot integrate a constant function?
Thank you for pointing out. I made this post in hurry without thinking. And now i got the answer myself.

for 0s to 1s i = 2A so q = 2C

for 1s to 2 s i calculated by integrating i wrt dt between 1s to 2s

and added two values and the answer is correct.

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve this problem. One method is to break the time interval into two parts (0<t<1 and t>1) and calculate the charge for each interval separately. For 0<t<1, the charge entering the element would be Q = i*t = 2*1 = 2 C. For t>1, the charge would be Q = t1∫t2 i dt = 2∫1 2t^2 dt = 2[t^3/3]1 = 2*(1/3) = 0.667 C. Therefore, the total charge entering the element from t=0s to t=2s would be 2+0.667 = 2.667 C. This is slightly different from the given value of 6.667 C, so it is important to double check the given values and equations used for calculation.

Related to Calculating Charge Entering an Element: Q=6.667 C

1. How do you calculate charge entering an element?

To calculate the charge entering an element, you can use the formula Q = I x t, where Q is the charge, I is the current, and t is the time. You can also use Q = n x e, where n is the number of electrons and e is the elementary charge (1.602 x 10^-19 C).

2. What is the unit of charge in this equation?

The unit of charge in this equation is Coulomb (C).

3. How do you find the current or time if the charge and other values are known?

If you know the charge and other values in the equation, you can rearrange the formula to solve for the current (I = Q / t) or time (t = Q / I).

4. Can this equation be used for any type of charge entering an element?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate any type of charge entering an element, as long as the current and time are known.

5. What is the significance of Q=6.667 C in this equation?

Q=6.667 C indicates the amount of charge entering an element, which can be calculated using the formula Q = I x t. It is important to note that this value will vary depending on the current and time values used in the equation.