Calculating charge transferred between metal spheres

In summary, when a small metal sphere with a radius of 1cm is charged to 100V and then touched to a larger metal sphere with a radius of 1m, the voltage between the two spheres equalizes to 0.99V. However, if the small sphere is lowered into a 3cm hole in the larger sphere, the charge is transferred to the inside of the larger sphere and the small sphere loses all of its charge. This is because the voltage is not conserved when mechanical energy is exchanged in separating the spheres.
adaviel
Suppose I have two metal spheres, radius 1 metre and 1 cm.
I charge the small one to 100V.
The self-capacitance of the sphere is 4µϵR, so the charge Q = CV = 4µϵ coulombs
Then I touch the two spheres together. I assume charge flows between them so that the voltage equalizes. As charge builds on the surface of the large sphere, electrostatic forces increase which prevent further charge from being transferred. Charge is conserved, I know the capacitance of both, so I get a final voltage of 0.99V and a charge of 0.99*4µϵ coulombs on the large sphere and 0.0099*4µϵ coulombs on the small one (to 2 places).
If I move them apart, that's what they will have. I think.

If instead I drill a 3cm hole in the large sphere, and lower the small one through so it touches the inside of the large sphere, the charge on the small one discharges to the large one. There is no charge on the inside of the large sphere, because it immediately migrates to the outside, and there is no electrostatic field on the inside to prevent more charge being transferred. Does the small sphere lose all its charge ? That would imply that when I remove it the two spheres have different voltages, which doesn't make sense as they were shorted together. What am I getting wrong here ?

(this is not actually homework - the numbers are arbitrary for the purposes of illustration)

Physics news on Phys.org
Charge is conserved, voltage is not. The reason voltage (electrical potential energy) is not conserved is mechanical energy is exchanged in separating the spheres

1. How do you calculate the charge transferred between metal spheres?

To calculate the charge transferred between metal spheres, you will need to use Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What information do I need to know in order to calculate the charge transferred between metal spheres?

You will need to know the charges of the metal spheres, the distance between them, and the value of the constant k, which represents the medium between the two spheres (usually air).

3. Can I use Coulomb's law to calculate the charge transferred between metal spheres in any medium?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be applied to any medium as long as the value of the constant k is known.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the charge transferred between metal spheres?

Yes, the formula for calculating the charge transferred between two metal spheres is Q = k * (q1 * q2) / d^2, where Q is the charge transferred, k is the constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the metal spheres, and d is the distance between them.

5. Can the charge transferred between metal spheres be negative?

Yes, the charge transferred between metal spheres can be negative if the charges of the two spheres are of opposite signs. This indicates that the charge has been transferred from one sphere to the other.