How Do You Calculate Cooking Intensity from Cooling in an Oven Cycle?

In summary, the oven cycles at 5 degrees Celsius per minute, holds the temperature at 300 degrees Celsius for 1 hour, and then shuts off to cool to room temperature. During the ramp up and hold phases, the oven uses heat to reach the desired temperature. The cooling phase is based on Newton's Law of cooling.
Bacat
I have a block of food in an oven and I want to calculate the "cooking intensity" of the block during a controlled oven cycle. The cycle of the oven is that it heats at 5 degrees (C) per minute, holds the temperature at 300C for 1 hour, and then shuts off the oven to cool to room temperature. I define as "cooking" any temperature higher than 23C (room temperature). I use P for cooking intensity.

I am doing fine on the ramp-up and the hold. And I can use the heat equation to find the temperature of cooling at any time. But how do I integrate the total heat from the cooling function? I seem to be stuck on this point. Here's my work so far:

Ramping Up

For a constant heating rate r, this is just finding the area of a triangle. In this case, r = 5.

[tex]P=\int_0^t{rxdx}[/tex]

Holding

In this case, T = 300.

[tex]P=\int_0^t{TdT}[/tex]

Cooling

Newton's Cooling Law (using k to temporarily ignore A, m, c, and R):

[tex]T(t) = T_a + (T_0 - T_a)*e^{-kt}[/tex]

In this case:
[tex]T_a = 23[/tex]

Let [tex]k = 0.0035[/tex]

I want to find P from T(t). Can I just integrate like this?

[tex]P = \int_0^t{T(t)dT}[/tex]

Don't I need to take the derivative of T(t) first and add that under the integral?

And before anyone asks: no, this isn't homework. Really.

Physics news on Phys.org
Should I ask the question in a different way? Or did Memorial Day just derail the forum? :)

Please help if you know the answer.

The concept here seems pretty odd to me because you're just calculating a temperature profile of the oven and not considering the heating of the food, so this doesn't have a whole lot to do with "cooking". The reality is that you always have a Newton's Law of cooling/heating scenario going on inside the oven between the oven and the food.

Anyway, being an engineer, I'd integrate numerically with Excel, so I can't help you do it with calculus...

I would approach this problem by first defining what exactly we mean by "cooking intensity." From the given information, it seems that cooking intensity is related to the temperature of the block of food during the cooking process. Therefore, we can define cooking intensity as the average temperature of the block of food during the cooking cycle.

Next, we need to consider the different stages of the oven cycle and how they contribute to the average temperature of the block of food. During the ramp-up stage, the temperature of the block of food increases at a constant rate. We can use the heat equation to calculate the temperature at any given time during this stage. However, since we are interested in the average temperature, we will need to integrate the temperature function over the entire ramp-up period.

During the holding stage, the temperature of the block of food remains constant at 300C. Therefore, the contribution of this stage to the overall cooking intensity is simply 300C multiplied by the duration of the holding time.

Finally, during the cooling stage, the temperature of the block of food decreases according to Newton's Cooling Law. To calculate the average temperature during this stage, we will need to integrate the temperature function over the entire cooling period.

Once we have calculated the contributions of each stage, we can add them together to get the total cooking intensity. This can be represented mathematically as:

P = (ramp-up contribution) + (holding contribution) + (cooling contribution)

P = \int_0^{t_{ramp}}T(t)dt + 300C(t_{hold}) + \int_{t_{ramp}+t_{hold}}^{t_{total}}T(t)dt

where t_{ramp}, t_{hold}, and t_{total} represent the duration of the ramp-up, holding, and total cooking time, respectively.

To answer the specific question about integrating the cooling function, yes, you will need to take the derivative of T(t) and add it under the integral in order to integrate the function. This is because the integral represents the area under the curve, and the derivative represents the slope of the curve at any given point. Therefore, in order to find the total area under the curve, we need to integrate the derivative of the function.

In conclusion, calculating cooking intensity involves considering the contributions of each stage of the cooking cycle and integrating the temperature function over each stage. By doing so, we can find the average

1. How is cooking intensity calculated?

Cooking intensity is calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy (in joules) absorbed by the food during cooking by the amount of time (in seconds) it takes to cook the food.

2. Why is calculating cooking intensity important?

Calculating cooking intensity allows us to understand how much heat energy is being transferred to the food during cooking, which can affect factors such as cooking time, texture, and nutritional value of the food.

3. What units are typically used for cooking intensity?

The units used for cooking intensity are joules per second (J/s) or watts (W). In some cases, kilojoules per second (kJ/s) may also be used.

4. How can cooking intensity be adjusted?

Cooking intensity can be adjusted by changing the amount of heat applied to the food, the type of heat source used, or the distance between the food and the heat source. Additionally, adjusting the cooking time can also affect the cooking intensity.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating cooking intensity?

Calculating cooking intensity may not take into account other factors such as moisture, air circulation, and food density, which can affect the cooking process. It is also important to note that cooking intensity may vary depending on the type of food being cooked.