1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating cooking intensity

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    I have a block of food in an oven and I want to calculate the "cooking intensity" of the block during a controlled oven cycle. The cycle of the oven is that it heats at 5 degrees (C) per minute, holds the temperature at 300C for 1 hour, and then shuts off the oven to cool to room temperature. I define as "cooking" any temperature higher than 23C (room temperature). I use P for cooking intensity.

I am doing fine on the ramp-up and the hold. And I can use the heat equation to find the temperature of cooling at any time. But how do I integrate the total heat from the cooling function? I seem to be stuck on this point. Here's my work so far:

Ramping Up

For a constant heating rate r, this is just finding the area of a triangle. In this case, r = 5.

[tex]P=\int_0^t{rxdx}[/tex]

Holding

In this case, T = 300.

[tex]P=\int_0^t{TdT}[/tex]

Cooling

Newton's Cooling Law (using k to temporarily ignore A, m, c, and R):

[tex]T(t) = T_a + (T_0 - T_a)*e^{-kt}[/tex]

In this case:
    [tex]T_a = 23[/tex]

Let [tex]k = 0.0035[/tex]

I want to find P from T(t). Can I just integrate like this?

[tex]P = \int_0^t{T(t)dT}[/tex]

Don't I need to take the derivative of T(t) first and add that under the integral?

And before anyone asks: no, this isn't homework. Really.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2
    Should I ask the question in a different way? Or did Memorial Day just derail the forum? :)

4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    Please help if you know the answer.

5. Jun 6, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The concept here seems pretty odd to me because you're just calculating a temperature profile of the oven and not considering the heating of the food, so this doesn't have a whole lot to do with "cooking". The reality is that you always have a Newton's Law of cooling/heating scenario going on inside the oven between the oven and the food.

Anyway, being an engineer, I'd integrate numerically with Excel, so I can't help you do it with calculus...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook