Calculating current, voltage drop & resistance

In summary, the speaker has built a circuit for a project using a 12V power supply, wired in series with 85 LED's connected by a 1kΩ resistor. The circuit also includes a PIR sensor and a 12V relay. The speaker is seeking help in determining the current, voltage drop, and total resistance of the circuit. They also mention an arrangement of 3 series LEDs with one resistor and ask if the circuit is functioning as planned.
SummersLCFC
Hi i built a circuit for a project and I am having some trouble working out important factors of the circuit. My circuit is powered by a 12V power supply, its wired in series, it contains 85 LED's that are connected with a 1kΩ resistor across 3 off the LED's. This is then connected to a PIR sensor and a 12V relay because the PIR is n/c contact.

I need some help on working out the current, the voltage drop and the total resistance of the circuit.

Thanks tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
So from the 12V battery you have a 1kΩ resistor in series with 3 series LEDs, then this current returns to the other terminal of the battery? Is that the arrangement? Can you measure the voltage across just one LED when it conducts, here in this circuit?

There are 85 LED's in the circuit, so it starts with 3 LED's connected up with 1 resistor across them, then another 3 LED's and so on, so that makes 29.

Perhaps I should ask the important question first: is it working well as you planned?

First of all, it's great that you are building a circuit for a project and seeking help to understand important factors such as current, voltage drop, and resistance. These are crucial components in any electrical circuit and understanding them will help you troubleshoot and optimize your circuit.

To calculate the current in your circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). In this case, since your circuit is wired in series, the current will be the same throughout the circuit. Therefore, the current can be calculated by dividing the voltage of your power supply (12V) by the total resistance of the circuit. This includes the 1kΩ resistor and the resistance of the 85 LEDs. To calculate the resistance of the LEDs, you will need to know their individual resistance values and then add them together.

Once you have calculated the current, you can use Ohm's Law again to calculate the voltage drop across the 1kΩ resistor. This can be done by multiplying the current by the resistance of the resistor. This will give you the voltage drop across the resistor, which can then be subtracted from the power supply voltage to determine the voltage drop across the LEDs.

Finally, to calculate the total resistance of your circuit, you will need to add the resistance of the 1kΩ resistor to the resistance of the 85 LEDs. This will give you the total resistance that the power supply is pushing against.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate the current, voltage drop, and resistance in your circuit. Keep in mind that these calculations are theoretical and may differ slightly from the actual values due to factors such as temperature and tolerance of components. It is always a good idea to double-check your calculations and measure the actual values in your circuit to ensure accuracy. Good luck with your project!

Related to Calculating current, voltage drop & resistance

1. What is current and how is it calculated?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a material. It is measured in amperes (A) and is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the resistance (R) of the material, using the formula I = V/R.

2. How do you calculate voltage drop?

Voltage drop is the difference in voltage across a component in an electric circuit. It is calculated by multiplying the current (I) by the resistance (R), using the formula V = I*R.

3. What is resistance and how is it measured?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of electric current in a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and can be calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I), using the formula R = V/I. It can also be measured using a multimeter.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances. This can be calculated by adding up all the resistances in the circuit, using the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

5. How does the length and thickness of a wire affect resistance?

The longer and thinner a wire is, the higher its resistance will be. This is because the longer the wire, the more collisions there will be between the electrons and the atoms in the material, causing more resistance. Similarly, a thicker wire will have less resistance as there is more space for the electrons to flow through. The relationship between resistance, length, and thickness can be calculated using the formula R = ρ*L/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.