1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating energy of a geosynchronous satellite

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey i was just wondering if i was on the right track here, the question is calculate the total energy(E) of a geosynchronous satelite (that orbits around a fixed spot) with a mass of 1500kg orbiting earth at a height of 325km with an orbital speed of 5000 m/s,

2. Relevant equations

ok i was taught that Total E = Kinetic E + Potential E, and also that Kinetic E= 1/2mV^2 and Potential E= mgH

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok i took into account that gravity would not be 9.8 so
    i calculated what it would be Using Fg=Gm1m2/d^2 and i came up with 1.32x10^4,also note that to calculate distace i added 325km to the radius of the earth, then i plugged
    in 1/2(1500)(5000)^2 + 1.32x10^4(1500)325000 = Total E, does this seem correct? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember energy is force * distance and so gravitatonal potential energy = GMm/r

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3
    There is a problem with the question. Geosynchronous satellites do not orbit at 325 Km height. And a satellite at 325km with an orbital speed of 5000m/s will fall back to earth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?