How to Calculate Entropy and Enthalpy in a Thermodynamics Problem

• Thread starter Clara Chung
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for entropy and enthalpy in a thermodynamics problem. The answer for part c is obtained by dividing 334 kJ by 273 and multiplying by 100 seconds. The correctness of this approach is questioned using the formula ds = dQ/T. The answer for entropy is calculated to be 92.05 J/K, while the answer for enthalpy is not given. In part d, the individual's solution is not accurate and they question why. However, it is determined that the only mistake made was using 1 kg for the mass on one side of the equation instead of the correct amount.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

52.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do part c and part d. The answers are 1223 Jkg-1K-1 , 213.3 K respectively. (Answer for enthalpy not given)

It seems that they get the answer of part c by dividing 334kJ by 273 and multiply by 100 seconds.
However, Isn't that ds = dQ/T ? Change of Q in 100 seconds is 25130 J by part a, so isn't the entropy 25130/273 = 92.05 ? For the enthalpy, isn't it 25130J?

For part d, my answer is not accurate, my idea is as follow:
C(400)(T-213)=C(1)(273-T)
I got T=213.149K , why am I wrong?

Thank you so much

Attachments

• 52.png
    52.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 630
Physics news on Phys.org
Your assessment seems totally correct to me.

Likes Clara Chung
Chestermiller said:
Your assessment seems totally correct to me.
Thanks for pointing that out. Why am I wrong?

Clara Chung said:
Thanks for pointing that out. Why am I wrong?
I don't think you are wrong.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
For part d, my answer is not accurate, my idea is as follow:
C(400)(T-213)=C(1)(273-T)
The only thing that I see that is wrong is using 1 kg for the mass on the right side of the equation above. But, if you use the correct amount of mass, it won't really make much difference in the answer.

Likes Clara Chung

Related to How to Calculate Entropy and Enthalpy in a Thermodynamics Problem

What is entropy/enthalpy?

Entropy and enthalpy are two important concepts in thermodynamics. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system, while enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system.

How is entropy/enthalpy calculated?

Entropy is calculated using the equation S = klnW, where S is entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates in a system. Enthalpy is calculated using the equation H = U + PV, where H is enthalpy, U is internal energy, P is pressure, and V is volume.

What is the significance of calculating entropy/enthalpy?

Calculating entropy and enthalpy allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of thermodynamic systems. It can also help to determine the direction and feasibility of chemical reactions.

How does temperature affect entropy/enthalpy?

As temperature increases, the entropy of a system also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, molecules have more energy and are more likely to be in a higher number of microstates. Enthalpy is also affected by temperature, as it is directly proportional to temperature for ideal gases.

Can entropy/enthalpy be negative?

Yes, entropy and enthalpy can both be negative. This usually occurs when the system is losing energy or becoming more ordered. For example, when a gas is compressed, its volume decreases and its entropy decreases, resulting in a negative change in entropy.