1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Escape Velocity

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    How do you Calculating the escape velocity? I googled it but they give bad instructions on how to do it. What is the formula?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2
    Every time I try using the formula i have i have to solve for V^2 and I get it to equal 35
    3541. Is this right? I plug in the numbers like it says it I still dont get the right answer.

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gravitational potential energy is = GMm/r (where M is the mass of the earth)
    Kinetic energy = 1/2 m v^2

You start at r=radius of earth and end up at r=infinity.
    A bit of rearranging and a subtraction and it shoudl be easy

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4
    I set KE=GPE i get a velocity of 465,561 for a 10kg object. This doesnt seem right.

6. Apr 20, 2009 #5

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Well escape velocity is a function of radius so this question, as you stated, makes no sense...

7. Apr 20, 2009 #6

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What formula are you using?

8. Apr 20, 2009 #7

V[tex]^{2}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{2GM}{R}[/tex] to find the escape velocity of the earth and i get, 465561.808.

9. Apr 20, 2009 #8

sylas

Science Advisor

You've got "tex" tags inside your formula. I've tried to fix tags in the quoted extract; but it is still not displaying for some reason. But the forumla looks fine to me. Just make sure all your variables are in consistent units. You give a number, but no units. Are you meaning km/hr, or m/s, or something else?

The gravitational constant G is usually given in SI units. If you do everything in meters and seconds and kilograms, it will work.

10. Apr 20, 2009 #9

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, from this answer, I'd say that you are using kilometers instead of meters for the radius of the Earth.

11. Apr 20, 2009 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would the mass of the object matter ?

GM for the Earth is almost exactly 400,000 km^3/s^2 (worth remembering)
    The radius of the Earth is around 6400km

so v^2 = 2GM/r = 2*400,000/6400 = 225km^2/s^2
    v = 11.2km/s (roughly)

edit - sorry i posted this straight after you replied, but it didn't show up (got a database error message)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook