What is the film coefficient for a hot object moving through open air?

In summary, the problem at hand is estimating the heat transfer coefficient for a hot object moving through open air. After researching, it seems that most available coefficients are for fluids confined within heat exchanger tubes. The best fit scenario for this problem is turbulent flow of a cold gas over a "warm wall", with the coefficient being a function of the Reynolds number. However, there are still questions surrounding the specifics of this calculation, such as the definition of a "warm wall" and the appropriate dimensions to use for irregular objects.
vhf
I'm trying to estimate the heat transfer coefficient from the surface of a hot object moving through open air. After much searching, all I can find is coefficients for sundry fluids confined within the tubes of heat exchangers.

I'm trying to calculate for a body at between 300-460K moving at up to 35m/s through air at about 300K.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I'd want to model that as Newtonian cooling since the air is moving over the body fast enough to carry the heat away. Objects in air lose heat mostly by convection. You seem to have been looking at heat transfer by conduction.

I'm well aware that the problem is one of convection not conduction as are the references on heat exchangers I've been reading.

Out of 60 or so scenarios that are listed, the one that seems to be of closest relevance is turbulent flow of a cold gas over a "warm wall". In this case the Prandtl and Grashof numbers can be disregarded and the coefficient is a function of the Reynolds number:-

P= 0.055k/l R^0.75 (Imperial Units) and R= vL/n where

k= thermal conductivity
l= length of pipe
n= kinematic viscosity
v= velocity
L: "for lengths greater than 2 feet use L=2"

This begs a whole host of questions:-

What exactly does a "warm wall" consist of?
Should I read "length of wall" for length of pipe?
Why are we dividing by l when the transmitted power is already per unit of surface area anyway?
What is the relevant dimension for irregular objects?
Is l the same as L, and if not is "lengths greater than 2 feet" referring to l or L?
Why is R apparently being calculated from a longitudinal rather than a lateral dimension?

1. What is a film coefficient and why is it important in calculations?

A film coefficient is a measure of how easily heat is transferred between a solid surface and a fluid flowing over it. It is important in calculations because it helps determine the rate of heat transfer and can be used to optimize heat transfer processes.

2. How is the film coefficient calculated?

The film coefficient is calculated by dividing the heat transfer coefficient by the thermal conductivity of the fluid. The heat transfer coefficient is determined by experimental data or theoretical correlations.

3. What factors affect the film coefficient?

The film coefficient is affected by several factors including fluid properties, surface roughness, flow velocity, temperature difference, and geometry of the solid surface.

4. How do you determine the appropriate film coefficient to use in calculations?

The appropriate film coefficient to use in calculations depends on the specific heat transfer process being analyzed. It is important to consider the properties of the fluid and surface, as well as the flow conditions, to select the most accurate film coefficient for the given situation.

5. What are some common applications of film coefficients?

Film coefficients are commonly used in various industries such as chemical, automotive, and aerospace to calculate heat transfer rates in processes such as cooling, heating, and condensation. They are also used in the design of heat exchangers, boilers, and other heat transfer equipment.