Calculating Force of Gravitational Attraction: Mass M, m, Distance

In summary: F1 is a known value.In summary, to find the force when the mass and separation distance are changed, we can use the equation F = (GMm)/r^2 and set up a ratio between the two forces. Alternatively, we can use the equation G = (Fr^2)/(Mm) and substitute the known values to eliminate the variables and find the force.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

When the distance separating two masses, M and m, is 1.2 x 10^10 m, the gravitational force of attraction is 5.0 N. If the mass of M becomes 3M and the separation distance becomes
2.4 x 1010 m, what will be the force?

Homework Equations

Fg=MaMb/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

since i have r and Fg (first part of question) i tried solving for the masses. but how do i solve for both when i need at least one to solve the other/??

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing the gravitational constant in your equation. I suggest setting up a ratio between the two forces and see what happens.

huh? I am still kinda confused..

You know : [tex]F_1 = \frac{{GM_1 m_1 }}{{r_1 ^2 }}[/tex] and that [tex]F_2 = \frac{{GM_2 m_2 }}{{r_2 ^2 }}[/tex].

What do you get when you divide the second equation by the first, that is: [tex]\frac{{F_2 }}{{F_1 }}[/tex].

You know:

[tex]\[
\begin{array}{l}
M_2 = 3M_1 \\
m_1 = m_2 \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]

along with the actual initial force, [tex]F_1[/tex]. You can solve for the ratio of forces which will tell you what [tex]F_2[/tex] is.

or, use this EASIER way :

for the first condition, and the second condition, the gravitational constant is always the same.
[tex]G=G[/tex]

You have known what the value of F is :
[tex]F=\frac{GMm}{r^2 }[/tex]
and, the value of G is :
[tex]G=\frac{Fr^2 }{Mm}[/tex]

you can make it like this :
[tex]G=G[/tex]
[tex]\frac{Fr1^2 }{M1m1}=\frac{Fr2^2 }{M2m2}[/tex]
substitute the variable ( like M2 to 3 Mi ) and you can eliminate the variable. At last, there will be an equation like F2 = k.F1

Related to Calculating Force of Gravitational Attraction: Mass M, m, Distance

1. How is the force of gravitational attraction calculated between two objects?

The force of gravitational attraction between two objects can be calculated using the formula F = G * ((M*m)/r^2), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M and m are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the centers of the two objects.

2. What is the universal gravitational constant?

The universal gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2.

3. What units are used to measure mass, distance, and force in the calculation?

The mass of the objects is measured in kilograms (kg), the distance between the centers of the objects is measured in meters (m), and the force of gravitational attraction is measured in Newtons (N).

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the force of gravitational attraction?

The force of gravitational attraction is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. Can the force of gravitational attraction ever be zero?

No, the force of gravitational attraction can never be zero as long as the objects have non-zero masses and are not infinitely far apart. However, the force can become very small if the objects are very far apart or have very small masses.