Calculating Force: Swimming Pool Problem

In summary, the force on the bottom of the swimming pool when filled to a depth of 2.00 m with fresh water is 5,880,000N, calculated using the equation B = pgV. As for the force on the sides and ends, the average pressure (p*g*h)/2 can be used, followed by the equation P=F*A.
ernay

Homework Statement

A swimming pool has dimensions 30.0 m and 10.0 m and a flat bottom. When the pool is filled to a depth of 2.00 m with fresh water, what is the force caused by the water on the bottom? On each end? On each side?

Homework Equations

B = pgV
P1+pgh+1/2pv2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the force on the bottom I thought it'd make sense to use buoyancy, so basically (103)*9.8**30*10*2), which is 5,880,000N... As for the sides and ends, I haven't got a clue on how to do it, I thought it might've involved Bernoulli's equation but I'm not really sure..

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been looking around online and I've seen similar problems where they use average pressure... which is (p*g*h)/2 p is density btw... is this the right approach, then just use P=F*A?

1. How do I calculate the force needed to push myself off the edge of a swimming pool?

To calculate the force needed, you will need to use the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the mass would be your body weight and the acceleration would be the speed at which you want to push off the edge of the pool.

2. How do I calculate the force of resistance when swimming against the current?

The force of resistance can be calculated using the formula F = ½ x ρ x v^2 x A, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object. In this case, the fluid would be the water in the pool and the object would be your body.

3. How do I determine the maximum force I can exert while swimming?

The maximum force you can exert while swimming will depend on your individual strength and physical abilities. However, you can estimate your maximum force by using the formula F = m x g, where F is the force, m is your body weight, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

4. How does the force of gravity affect my swimming abilities?

The force of gravity affects your swimming abilities by pulling you downwards towards the bottom of the pool. This force can make it more difficult to swim against and can also impact your buoyancy in the water. However, with proper technique and use of other forces, such as propulsion from your arms and legs, you can overcome the force of gravity while swimming.

5. How can I increase the force of my swimming strokes?

You can increase the force of your swimming strokes by improving your technique and using proper body positioning. You can also increase your strength and power through regular training and exercises specifically targeted for swimming. Additionally, using equipment such as fins or a pull buoy can help increase the force of your strokes by providing additional resistance or support.