Why Does the Book's Force Calculation Differ for the Rotating Space Probe?

• Thread starter zrbecker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation was about a mistake in a book's solution to a physics problem involving a space probe's rotation and the necessary force to reduce its rotational speed. The original solution had a mistake in the given values, resulting in a slightly higher force value. The correct solution was provided by the forum user and appreciated by the book author.
zrbecker
(EDIT: SOLVED) Book did it wrong, they swapped out the final rotational speed 1.8 rad/s with 1.7 rad/s, presumably mixed up with the radius of the sphere.

Homework Statement

A space probe coasting in a region of negligible gravity is rotating with an angular speed of 2.4 rev/s about an axis that points in its direction of motion. The spacecraft is in the form of a thin spherical shell of radius 1.7m and mass 245kg. It is necessary to reduce the rotational speed to 1.8 rev/s by firing tangential thrusters along the "equator" of the probe. What constant force must the thrusters exert if the change in angular speed is to be accomplished as the probe rotates through 3.0 revolutions? Assume the fuel ejected by the thrusters is a negligible fraction of the mass of the probe.

Homework Equations

Angular Velocity
[tex]\omega^2 = \omega_0^2 + 2\alpha(\theta - \theta_0)[/tex]

Moment of Inertia
[tex]I = \frac{2}{3} mr^2[/tex]

Kinetic Energy
[tex]K = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

Torque
[tex]\tau = rF\sin\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I attempted to do this problem was to find angular acceleration first

[tex](1.8 rev/s^2) = (2.4 rev/s^2) + 2 \alpha (3 rev)[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = -0.42 rev/s^2 = -2.63 rad/s^2[/tex]

[tex]I = \frac{2}{3}(245)(1.7)^2 = 472 kg \cdot m^2[/tex]

Then I got the torque as follows
[tex]\tau = I \alpha = 472(-2.63) = -1246[/tex]

Since the force is applied in the opposite direction that the thing is rotating I get
[tex]\tau = Fr\sin\theta = -Fr[/tex]

[tex]F = \frac{-\tau}{r} = \frac{1246}{1.7} = 733N[/tex]

The book is giving 833N

It did it the following way

[tex]I = \frac{2}{3}(245)(1.7)^2 = 472 kg \cdot m^2[/tex]

[tex]W = K_f - K_i = (1/2)(472)(2\pi * 1.7)^2 - (1/2)(472)(2\pi * 2.4)^2 = -2.67 \times 10^4[/tex]

[tex]W = \tau\theta = -rF\theta [/tex]

[tex]F = \frac{-W}{r\theta} = \frac{2.67 \times 10^4}{1.7 \cdot 6\pi} = 833N[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this error to our attention. As scientists, it is important for us to carefully check and double-check our calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. We will make sure to correct this mistake in our book and we apologize for any confusion it may have caused.

Your solution to the problem is correct and we appreciate you sharing it with us. The book's solution is also correct, but as you pointed out, there was a mistake in the given values. The final rotational speed should be 1.8 rad/s instead of 1.7 rad/s, which is why the book's solution gives a slightly higher force value.

Thank you for your contribution to the scientific community. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you calculate force?

To calculate force, you can use the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. You can also use the equation F=mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).

2. What are the units of force?

The SI unit for force is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. Other commonly used units for force include pounds (lb) and dynes (dyn).

3. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to first determine the individual forces acting on an object. Then, you can add or subtract these forces based on their direction. The net force is the overall force acting on the object.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field.

5. Can you calculate force without knowing mass?

No, you cannot calculate force without knowing the mass of the object. Force is directly proportional to mass, so without knowing the mass, you cannot accurately calculate the force.