Calculating Forces in a Rotational System with a Wrecking Ball and Boom

In summary, the problem involves a wrecking ball with a weight of 5400 N and a boom with a weight of 3800 N. A support cable runs from the top of the boom to a tractor at an angle of 32° with the horizontal, while the boom itself is at an angle of 48° with the horizontal. The question is asking for the force of the cables and the length of the boom is not specified. However, it can be cancelled out in the equation.
smith5029
A wrecking ball (weight = 5400 N) is supported by a boom, which may be assumed to be uniform and has a weight of 3800 N. As the drawing shows, a support cable runs from the top of the boom to the tractor. The angle between the support cable and the horizontal is 32°, and the angle between the boom and the horizontal is 48°.

i'm drawing a blank really, i don't know what to use as my pivot point.
i had L(5400) - Lsin(32)FT + 1/2Lsin(48)3800=0
then i solved for FT but it was wrong, can you help me, or show me where to go

Physics news on Phys.org
the question wants to know what the force of the cables question is, and the length isn't defined but you can cancel it out right?

You posted in college help already. Don't double post.

What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path.

What is the difference between rotational and translational motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while translational motion involves movement in a straight line.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the momentum of a rotating object, taking into account both its mass and its rotational speed.

How is torque related to rotational dynamics?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes rotational motion. It is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object.

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object.