Calculating forces on a tilting tower

In summary: They also used force equilibrium, or the principle that the sum of the forces on a body or system is constant.
djtexcarr
Please see attached excerpt of a report I have been studying.

I am going to be building a tilt up tower as in the diagram. However, I may be putting varying loads on the tower top, which they indicate to be 800#. On the second page of the pdf, it shows the tower section weights, lengths, etc and it shows the results of the calculations. Could someone please show me how they used the numbers they have to get the conclusions they derived? My goal is to create a spreadsheet in which I can "plug in" the variables and the resulting forces will automatically generate.

Thank you,

David

Attachments

• 0614_001.pdf
    105.6 KB · Views: 831
Engineering news on Phys.org
Creating the shear & moment diagrams is first year structural engineering (end of the year) but not easy to explain, not briefly anyway. Not sure how the maximum force in a leg was determined, perhaps treating the max moment as a force "couple", divided between the legs.

Let's call the two legs at the base of the tower point A, and the point where the cable is attached to the tower point B. It can be figured out that the angle of their cable at point B, measured from a horizontal line, is theta = 24.82 deg. By measuring an enlargement of their diagram, you could measure the angle of their gin pole, and measure the angle of their winch cable. Then, using geometry or trigonometry, you could compute the length of their gin pole. It can be seen in their loading diagram that the vertical reaction force at point A is 497 lbf. And the total load (lbf) for each uniformly-distributed load is written on each uniformly-distributed load, acting downward. As CarlAK mentioned, any statics or mechanics of materials textbook will help you learn shear and moment diagrams. To derive the shear and moment diagrams, which you are asking about, they used statics, or static equilibrium of a simply-supported beam (with overhang).

1. What is the purpose of calculating forces on a tilting tower?

The purpose of calculating forces on a tilting tower is to determine the amount and direction of external forces acting on the tower. This information is crucial for engineers and architects in designing and constructing safe and stable towers.

2. How do you calculate the forces on a tilting tower?

The forces on a tilting tower can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and basic trigonometry. First, the external forces acting on the tower, such as wind or seismic forces, must be determined. Then, these forces can be resolved into their horizontal and vertical components and applied to the tower at its center of gravity. The resulting forces can be balanced to determine the overall stability of the tower.

3. What factors influence the forces on a tilting tower?

The forces acting on a tilting tower are influenced by various factors such as the tower's height, shape, and material properties, as well as external factors like wind speed and direction, seismic activity, and surrounding topography. These factors must be taken into account when calculating the forces on a tilting tower.

4. How can the forces on a tilting tower be minimized?

The forces on a tilting tower can be minimized through proper design and construction techniques. This may include using stronger and more resilient materials, incorporating aerodynamic features, and considering the surrounding environment and its potential impact on the tower. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential weaknesses or vulnerabilities in the tower.

5. What are the potential consequences of neglecting to calculate forces on a tilting tower?

Neglecting to calculate forces on a tilting tower can have serious consequences, including structural failure and collapse. This can result in property damage, injuries, and even loss of life. Additionally, it can lead to costly repairs or reconstruction efforts, legal issues, and damage to the reputation of the engineers and architects involved in the tower's design and construction.