Ensuring Optimal Generator Rotational Speed: The Role of Timer Devices

In summary: The unit is designed to be able to measure the frequency of an alternator, which would be necessary in order to synchronize it to the grid. In summary, the timer device in a generator ensures that the rotational speed is 3000 rpm.
royp
Hello,
I have a simple question: What is the timer device in a generator? For instance, in order to get the standard frequency of 50Hz, there should be a rotational speed of 3000 rpm. what device measures and ensures this?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Great question. It is done centrally for the entire grid. In North America, the biggest grid is the Eastern Interconnection which is roughly everything east of the Rockies, except Texas. In Europe, see the map. Color coding shows the grid divisions.
1280px-Wide_area_synchronous_grid_%28Eurasia%2C_Mediterranean%29.png

Read about how it works in this Insights Article.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-happens-when-you-flip-the-light-switch/

Attachments

• 1280px-Wide_area_synchronous_grid_%28Eurasia%2C_Mediterranean%29.png
    1280px-Wide_area_synchronous_grid_%28Eurasia%2C_Mediterranean%29.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,394
@anorlunda what about a standby power generator? It isn't clear to me which the OP was referring to...

Thanks @anorlunda, for clarifying.

@russ_waters : Thank you also for pointing out. I was, in fact, asking about an off-grid, stand-by generator. The kind of (diesel) micro generators manufactured by Yamaha and others.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/calculating-generator-rpm.961469/@russ_waters

Likes russ_watters
@russ_watters: Sorry I spelt your name wrong in the previous post!

Likes russ_watters
Ah, an isolated generator. In that case, the speed is controlled by a modern version of this James Watt invention from 1788.
800px-Centrifugal_governor.png

Of course, today it can be done electronically (like the cruise control in some cars), but for simplicity and reliability, mechanical governors based on centrifugal force are still used. If you google "speed governor", you'll find lots of hits.

A key feature is that the governor is a proportional controller. They open the throttle in proportion to some error in the speed. That means that as load changes, speed will also change by a small amount. However if it is not connected to the grid, exactly 50 Hz is not necessary.

Attachments

• 800px-Centrifugal_governor.png
    800px-Centrifugal_governor.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,165
Likes Klystron, jim hardy, Fisherman199 and 1 other person
And here is a video along the same lines. (If it doesn't automatically, you may want to skip the first 3 minutes of it.)
Pay attention to the unusual tachometer around the 9 min. mark.

Likes jim hardy
I just join in for the fun of it. Seems like it's easier to let the motor run, convert the AC to DC, then use an oscillator to convert the DC back to AC at precisely 50Hz. Converter design is very efficient, might end up easier than to regulate the motor speed for different load. You might be able to buy these off the shelf.

but what do I know.

I seem to remember my Dad telling me about a Synchroscope which was used to compare the phase and frequency difference between a local generator and the grid. This is a bit like an induction motor which will rotate for a frequency difference or stay stationary at an angle corresponding the right phase. The method was to adjust the amount of steam into the turbine until the needle was stationary in the right position and then throw the breaker to connect up. Once connected, the grid and the generator will tend to stay together (obvs the system has to be arranged to be stable), any phase difference can result in power flowing in the wrong direction. Where large distances are involved, the 'tail can wag the dog' and a system can go into oscillation. It's much easier nowadays with predictive computer control.
For links where the two connections cannot reliably be mutually synchronised (like the link between UK and Europe) there is a DC link with autonomous control of frequency on each side.
I saw this f meter in an exhibition in Poole, Dorset, UK. It consists of a set of resonant reeds and used to show the revs of an alternator in the old Poole Power Station. The synchroscope would take over when they got the frequency right I presume.
f meter.jpg

Attachments

• f meter.jpg
    f meter.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 892
It is strictly forbidden to run a home standby generator connected to the power grid (unless there is a special interface box from the utility that provides protections.) Therefore, you should never need to synchronize it.

For permanent backup power installations, they use a transfer switch that assures that the house is either fed from the grid or from the standby generator, but never both.

Likes Klystron and Fisherman199

Attachments

• frequencymeter-jpg.jpg
    frequencymeter-jpg.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 859
Likes sophiecentaur
dlgoff said:
Here's my resonant reed frequency meter; for 50 Hz and 60 Hz scales
I wonder why a unit that appears to be 'panel mounted' (i.e. permanent) would need be suitable for 50 and 60 Hz. The only application I could think of would be on a ship that might be connected to either frequency standard.

sophiecentaur said:
I wonder why a unit that appears to be 'panel mounted' (i.e. permanent) would need be suitable for 50 and 60 Hz. The only application I could think of would be on a ship that might be connected to either frequency standard.
I think it was designed with both so it could be sold in the US (60 Hz grid) or in Europe (50 Hz grid). It accepts a single phase voltage from 100 to 150 VAC.

Likes sophiecentaur
As late as the 1960's there were still installations with 25Hz supply. This was in the USA supplied by the hydroelectric plants at Niagara Falls. Most of the building I'm familiar with had been upgraded to 60Hz but the elevator and the motor-gen set for the carbon arc movie projectors were still 25Hz.

Edit:
Some of the incadescent lighting was also on 25Hz. You could see the flicker in your peripheral vision but they appeared steady when looked at directly.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, jim hardy and sophiecentaur
dlgoff said:
I think it was designed with both so it could be sold in the US (60 Hz grid) or in Europe (50 Hz grid). It accepts a single phase voltage from 100 to 150 VAC.

US observation confirmed. Also, worked with power from 50hz sources at ~220 VAC in Asia
Sources [at frequency and with AC output voltage already specified in this thread] simulated available power in Central Europe.

[Some projects provided vacuum cleaners suitable to the power sources. Woe betide the bubba' who attempted to remove the funny AC connector, replace with connector for US mains ("Hey! It's grounded!"), and vacuum his truck.]

Likes sophiecentaur
Tom.G said:
As late as the 1960's there were still installations with 25Hz supply. This was in the USA supplied by the hydroelectric plants at Niagara Falls. Most of the building I'm familiar with
Wow! Is that open to the public? I would love to see it.

Tom.G said:
Some of the incadescent lighting was also on 25Hz. You could see the flicker in your peripheral vision but they appeared steady when looked at directly.
i can vouch it was still there early 70's, still flickering.
anorlunda said:
Wow! Is that open to the public? I would love to see it.
I would too.

If you pass this way
there's a quaint little 1910-ish 400kw Westinghouse low head hydro plant that ran until 1970's. Now it's part of the state park at Mammoth Spring.
Has an early Woodward governor.

53c6bb995d016f239fa4cf5ee59dd644_Mammoth_Springs_042016_CHC_1894.jpg

good trout fishing in that spring fed stream .

old jim

Attachments

• 53c6bb995d016f239fa4cf5ee59dd644_Mammoth_Springs_042016_CHC_1894.jpg
    53c6bb995d016f239fa4cf5ee59dd644_Mammoth_Springs_042016_CHC_1894.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 770
Likes Klystron, Fisherman199, anorlunda and 1 other person
jim hardy said:
i can vouch it was still there early 70's, still flickering.
I would too.

If you pass this way
there's a quaint little 1910-ish 400kw Westinghouse low head hydro plant that ran until 1970's. Now it's part of the state park at Mammoth Spring.
Has an early Woodward governor.

View attachment 235402

good trout fishing in that spring fed stream .

old jim
Been there many times on my way to Batesville.

Likes jim hardy
Nikola Tesla fans might enjoy visiting Westinghouse vintage generating equipment. Legend has Tesla designing many systems for George Westinghouse particularly after falling out with Thomas Edison over patent issues.

Many thanks to all of you for a rich discussion. It has been very, very helpful!

Likes dlgoff, berkeman, jim hardy and 1 other person

What is the formula for calculating generator RPM?

The formula for calculating generator RPM is: RPM = (120 x Frequency) / Number of Poles

How do I find the frequency of my AC power supply?

The frequency of your AC power supply can be found on your generator's control panel or by using a frequency meter. It is typically either 50 or 60 Hz.

What is the difference between synchronous and asynchronous generators?

Synchronous generators rotate at a constant speed that is directly related to the frequency of the power supply. Asynchronous generators, also known as induction generators, do not have a fixed speed and rely on the relative speed between the rotor and stator to generate electricity.

Can I use the same formula to calculate RPM for both synchronous and asynchronous generators?

Yes, the same formula can be used for both types of generators. However, for asynchronous generators, the calculated RPM will not be the actual rotor speed, but rather the relative speed between the rotor and stator.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated generator RPM?

The accuracy of the calculated RPM can be affected by factors such as slip (for asynchronous generators), load, temperature, and manufacturing tolerances. It is important to consider these factors when using the calculated RPM for precise measurements or applications.