Calculating Inductance for DC Filter to Remove Noise

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to remove noise from an amplifier circuit that is coming from 60Hz line current noise. They need to know the inductance in Henrys, and a few other things they know nothing about. They are considering using a ferrite core, but are not sure yet. They are also considering using a grounding issue, but that is not working. They are also considering using a DC powered audio source (a pocket radio) to see if that will work.
Lancelot59
I'm trying to setup a DC filter to remove noise that's is entering an amplifier circuit. It's just standard line current noise at 60Hz. I can't figure out how on the other hand how to calculate the necessary values to pick an inductor that will do the job.

The DC power in is 16V @ 4A, DC Resistance just using Ohms Law is 4Ohms.

To pick an inductor I need to know the inductance in Henry's, and a few things I have know nothing about:

Q @ Freq
Self Resonant Frequency

Most likely I'm going to go with a Ferrite core but I'm not 100% on that yet, but I think it would work best.

What do you guys think?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lancelot59 said:
I'm trying to setup a DC filter to remove noise that's is entering an amplifier circuit. It's just standard line current noise at 60Hz. I can't figure out how on the other hand how to calculate the necessary values to pick an inductor that will do the job.

The DC power in is 16V @ 4A, DC Resistance just using Ohms Law is 4Ohms.

To pick an inductor I need to know the inductance in Henry's, and a few things I have know nothing about:

Q @ Freq
Self Resonant Frequency

Most likely I'm going to go with a Ferrite core but I'm not 100% on that yet, but I think it would work best.

What do you guys think?

Welcome to the PF. It would help to know more about the system that you are dealing with. Why are you finding 60Hz hum in your DC power supply? Is it from ripple from the input bridge rectifier, or some other shared impedance pickup from some 60Hz AC powered device?

There are several things that we would need to know to help you design and optimize a filter for your application. Can you tell us more, and maybe even attach a sketch of your system?

Well the 60Hz noise was just an idea. I'm actually building it as a prototype at the moment. I've been using a DC power supply, and also got the same results using a car battery. So I just kinda guessed that it was line voltage noise. I only heard the hum on the speakers. Another idea that got mentioned is a grounding issue, but I don't see how what would work.

But mentioning the ripple there made an idea pop into my head. The OPAmp has a pin labelled "voltage ripple rejection" but my teacher said that I shouldn't worry about it, so I just left the row blank. What would that normally connect to?

Here is the data sheet for the OPAmp: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/TDA1554Q.pdf

It's kinda late right now but I'll throw up a sketch of the system tomorrow for sure.

If you're getting 60Hz hum when running off of a battery, the problem will not be solved with filtering. You need to figure out where the hum pickup is coming from, and address that source.

Today after some more cankering I grounded the ripple rejection, which totally killed the audio out. I then tried to connect the second speaker, the connector was damaged so I'm not sure if it was working properly. It system worked with a grounded ripple rejection pin and a 100uF capacitor. The hum was only present on one channel.

Tommorow I'm going to bring in a DC powered audio source (a pocket radio), instead the the huge AC powered radio I'm using right now. I hope that'll work out better. I think that the noise might be coming from the radio's internal DC rectifier.

I'll post a sketch when I get home.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Inductance for DC Filter to Remove Noise

1. What is inductance and why is it important for DC filters?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of a circuit element, such as a coil, to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. In DC filters, inductance is important because it helps to reduce or eliminate unwanted noise or fluctuations in the DC signal.

2. How is inductance calculated for a DC filter?

Inductance can be calculated using the formula L = N^2 * μ * A / l, where N is the number of turns in the coil, μ is the permeability of the material, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil. This formula can be used to determine the optimal inductance value for a DC filter.

3. What factors affect the inductance value for a DC filter?

There are several factors that can affect the inductance value for a DC filter, including the number of turns in the coil, the type of core material used, the cross-sectional area and length of the coil, and the presence of nearby conductors or magnetic materials.

4. How does inductance help to remove noise in a DC filter?

Inductance helps to remove noise in a DC filter by storing energy in the magnetic field and then releasing it back into the circuit. This helps to smooth out fluctuations in the DC signal, resulting in a cleaner and more stable output.

5. Are there any limitations to using inductance in a DC filter?

Yes, there are some limitations to using inductance in a DC filter. One limitation is that inductors have a tendency to create a voltage drop in the circuit, which can affect the overall performance. Additionally, the size and cost of the inductor may also be a limiting factor in certain applications.