Calculating % Kinetic Energy Conversion in Ballistic Pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses using conservation of momentum and energy equations to derive an expression for the percentage of kinetic energy converted into internal energy during a bullet-clay impact. The final simplified expression is (mC)/(mC + mB) x 100. The conversation also includes a demonstration of how to eliminate VB using VB = (mB+mC)VC.
gold123456th

Homework Statement

A soft clay block is suspended so as to form a so-called ballistic pendulum. A bullet is fired point-blank into the block, imbedding itself therein and raising the latter to a height h. Derive an expression for the percentage of the kinetic energy converted into internal energy during the bullet-clay impact.

Homework Equations

Use any equation related to momentum and kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to get an expression: (mBvB2 - mBvC2 - mCVC2)/(mBvB2) x 100
This expression is right, but I need to simplify it to (mC)/(mC + mB) x 100. I don't know how to simplify this equation
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of momentum and write VB in terms of VC. Substitute this in the energy equation to eliminate VC.

Can you show me how to do that? I tried but had no luck

gold123456th said:
Can you show me how to do that? I tried but had no luck
mBVB = (mB+mC)VC
Now what is VB ?

i got it! thanks

What is the formula for calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum?

The formula for calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum is (%KE conversion = (height of pendulum release - height of pendulum rise) / (height of pendulum release) * 100%).

What are the factors that affect the accuracy of calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum?

The factors that affect the accuracy of calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum are the height of the pendulum release, the height of the pendulum rise, the mass of the projectile, and the angle of the pendulum swing.

How can the accuracy of calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum be improved?

The accuracy of calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum can be improved by using a more precise measurement device, ensuring the pendulum is released and rises at the same height, and repeating the experiment multiple times to calculate an average.

What is the purpose of calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum?

The purpose of calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum is to determine the efficiency of a projectile's energy transfer when it collides with a stationary object, such as a pendulum. This information can be used to improve the design and performance of projectiles.

What are some real-world applications of calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum?

Some real-world applications of calculating % kinetic energy conversion in ballistic pendulum include determining the energy output of firearms, analyzing the performance of sports equipment such as baseball bats and golf clubs, and studying the impact of collisions in car accidents.