Calculating Liquid Height Difference in U-Tube | Fluid Mechanics Homework

In summary, the problem involves pouring 100 mL of water and 100 mL of oil with a density 80% of water into a U-tube with a cross-sectional area of 1 cm2. The goal is to find the difference in height of the liquid surfaces on the two sides of the U-tube. Using the equation P=gph, it is determined that the height of the oil above the oil-water interface is 100 cm.
bennyq

Homework Statement

One hundred millilitres of water is poured into a U-tube that has a cross-sectional area of 1 cm2. Then 100 millilitres of oil, with a density 80% that of water, is poured down one side of the U-tube so that the oil floats on the water. Find the difference in height of the liquid surfaces on the two sides of the U-tube.

Homework Equations

P=gph

The Attempt at a Solution

Just struggling to get started, i know that on either side that at a certain point the pressures are equal.
Just a pointer to get going would be great..

Physics news on Phys.org
bennyq said:

Homework Statement

One hundred millilitres of water is poured into a U-tube that has a cross-sectional area of 1 cm2. Then 100 millilitres of oil, with a density 80% that of water, is poured down one side of the U-tube so that the oil floats on the water. Find the difference in height of the liquid surfaces on the two sides of the U-tube.

Homework Equations

P=gph

The Attempt at a Solution

Just struggling to get started, i know that on either side that at a certain point the pressures are equal.
Just a pointer to get going would be great..

Match them up at the bottom of the U.

Chet

in my sketch, i have Pa = LHS p(oil)gh = RHS p(water)gL .. g cancels our but i have two unknowns..which is the different heights of each column?

bennyq said:
in my sketch, i have Pa = LHS p(oil)gh = RHS p(water)gL .. g cancels our but i have two unknowns..which is the different heights of each column?

If h is the height of the oil above the oil-water interface, and L is the height of the water above the oil-water interface, the h = 100 cm.

Chet

Likes 1 person
ah okay, thank you chet

1. What is static fluid?

Static fluid is a fluid that is not in motion. This means that the particles of the fluid are at rest and are not moving or flowing.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic fluids?

The main difference between static and dynamic fluids is that dynamic fluids are in motion, while static fluids are not. This means that dynamic fluids have a velocity and can exert forces, while static fluids do not.

3. How is the pressure in a static fluid calculated?

The pressure in a static fluid is calculated using the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height of the fluid column.

4. What is Pascal's principle and how does it relate to static fluids?

Pascal's principle states that pressure applied to a fluid in a closed container is transmitted equally in all directions. This means that an increase in pressure at one point in a static fluid will cause an equal increase in pressure at all other points in the fluid.

5. What is the buoyant force and how does it affect objects in a static fluid?

The buoyant force is an upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or completely submerged in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces and it helps objects float or sink in a static fluid.