Calculating Mass of 1 Cubic Meter of Water in Kilograms

In summary, the question is asking for the mass of one cubic meter of water in kilograms, assuming that each cubic centimeter of water has a mass of exactly 1.00 g. The attempt at a solution involves converting from grams to kilograms and from centimeters to meters. However, the units kg/m^3 are incorrect as 1 cubic centimeter cannot be equal to 1 meter. The correct answer is .1kg/m^3.
shimizua

Homework Statement

Assuming that each cubic centimeter of water has a mass of exactly 1.00 g, find the mass of one cubic meter of water in kilograms.

Homework Equations

well i just changed everything from grams to kilograms and cm to m

The Attempt at a Solution

Well if there is 1g in each cubic centimeter then in 1 meter there is 1g right? so then u just need to convert g to kilograms. but when i do it and enter it into the computer the answer comes up as wrong units and i am entering the units as kg/m^3 is that right. also i got .1kg/m^3 so hopefully that is right also

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, 1 cubic centimetre cannot be equal to 1 metre. You see, the former is a unit of volume, and the latter is a unit of length, and they cannot be converted to one another.

Now, picture this... if there the mass of water in a cube of 1cm x 1 cm x 1cm (i.e one cubic centimeter) is 1 g, what is the mass of water in a cube of 1 m x 1m x 1m (i.e. one cubic metre)?

is there any other way to do this
To calculate the mass of one cubic meter of water in kilograms, we must first convert the units from cubic centimeters to cubic meters. This can be done by dividing the volume of one cubic meter (1 m^3) by the volume of one cubic centimeter (1 cm^3). This gives us a conversion factor of 1,000,000 cm^3/m^3.

Next, we can multiply the conversion factor by the mass of one cubic centimeter of water (1 g/cm^3) to get the mass of one cubic meter of water in grams (1,000,000 g/m^3).

Finally, we can convert the units from grams to kilograms by dividing the mass in grams by 1000, giving us a final answer of 1000 kg/m^3.

Therefore, the mass of one cubic meter of water in kilograms is 1000 kg/m^3. It is important to pay attention to units when working with calculations, as incorrect units can lead to incorrect answers. In this case, the units were entered incorrectly as kg/m^3 instead of kg/m^3, resulting in an incorrect answer. By following the correct units and conversion steps, we can accurately calculate the mass of one cubic meter of water in kilograms.

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of 1 cubic meter of water in kilograms?

The formula for calculating the mass of 1 cubic meter of water in kilograms is: Mass (kg) = Volume (m3) x Density (kg/m3).

2. What is the density of water in kilograms per cubic meter?

The density of water in kilograms per cubic meter is 1000 kg/m3.

3. How much does 1 cubic meter of water weigh?

1 cubic meter of water weighs 1000 kilograms.

4. Is the mass of 1 cubic meter of water the same as the mass of 1 kilogram of water?

No, the mass of 1 cubic meter of water is 1000 times greater than the mass of 1 kilogram of water.

5. How does the temperature of water affect its mass and density?

The mass and density of water are affected by temperature. Water is most dense at 4 degrees Celsius and its density decreases as the temperature increases or decreases from this point.