Calculating mechanical power

In summary, the power needed to pull the 1700 kg block of granite up an incline with an angle of inclination θ = 29 ° and a constant speed of 2.40 m/s is 9800 N.
chaotixmonjuish
A 1700 kg block of granite is pulled up an incline that has an angle of inclination θ = 29 ° with a constant speed of 2.40 m/s by a steam winch (see Figure). The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.25. How much power must be supplied by the winch?

How would you calculate power without a time? Does this involve using a lot of kinematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
chaotixmonjuish said:
A 1700 kg block of granite is pulled up an incline that has an angle of inclination θ = 29 ° with a constant speed of 2.40 m/s by a steam winch (see Figure). The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.25. How much power must be supplied by the winch?

How would you calculate power without a time? Does this involve using a lot of kinematics?

You could do this with kinematics...
but there is another formula for power (derived from the definition of work) that does not require an explicit time.

Oh, could you lead me to something that discusses the formula, just so I can get an intuitive understanding of the formula before utilizing it.

chaotixmonjuish said:
Oh, could you lead me to something that discusses the formula, just so I can get an intuitive understanding of the formula before utilizing it.

To get a feeling for the formula,
write (using [tex]\Delta x[/tex]) the work done by a force F.
Now, write the power supplied by this force as a ratio in terms of this work.

To do this rigorously, one should use calculus.

I'm still having a few problems, but I would like to run some numbers by:

the tension in the rope pulling it up the incline would be 11719.7 N

and the rigorous formula, would that be:

m(1/2 Vf^2-1/2Vi^2)

Tension is right. But the formula is not...

You know the force of tension... so what is the work done by tension over a distance [tex]\Delta x[/tex]

What is the work per unit time?

I would go about calculating time? Acceleration is zero.

chaotixmonjuish said:
I would go about calculating time? Acceleration is zero.

You don't need the time... what is [tex]\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex] ?

We aren't given any elapsed time. This is where I'm confused. The only given is a velocity, mass, and coefficient of friction.

chaotixmonjuish said:
We aren't given any elapsed time. This is where I'm confused. The only given is a velocity, mass, and coefficient of friction.

yup, you have velocity. use that.

Could I break work into Force x Distance /time

but isn't distance/time a velocity

so could I use Force (the tension in the rope) times velocity

chaotixmonjuish said:
Could I break work into Force x Distance /time

but isn't distance/time a velocity

so could I use Force (the tension in the rope) times velocity

exactly. the power is force*velocity.

I guess my hints make more sense now.
More generally, it's
[tex]P=\vec F\cdot \vec v[/tex] (assuming that these quantities remain constant during the motion).

1. What is mechanical power?

Mechanical power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred in a mechanical system. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by dividing the work done (in joules) by the time it takes to do the work (in seconds).

2. How do you calculate mechanical power?

Mechanical power can be calculated using the formula P = W/t, where P is power (in watts), W is work (in joules), and t is time (in seconds). Alternatively, it can also be calculated by multiplying force (in newtons) by velocity (in meters per second).

3. What is the difference between mechanical power and electrical power?

Mechanical power refers to the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred in a mechanical system, while electrical power refers to the rate at which electrical energy is converted into another form (such as mechanical, thermal, or light energy). Mechanical power is measured in watts (W), while electrical power is measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

4. How is mechanical power used in everyday life?

Mechanical power is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as in machines, vehicles, and appliances. For example, the power generated by a car engine is used to move the car and the power generated by a blender is used to blend ingredients. It is also used in sports, such as in the power generated by muscles during physical activity.

5. What factors affect the calculation of mechanical power?

The calculation of mechanical power is affected by several factors, including the amount of work being done, the time it takes to do the work, and the force and velocity involved. Additionally, factors such as friction, efficiency, and the type of mechanical system being used can also affect the calculation of mechanical power.