Calculating moleculalar flux from deposition rate.

In summary, the purpose of calculating molecular flux from deposition rate is to determine the rate at which molecules are being deposited onto a surface, which can be useful in fields like materials science and atmospheric chemistry. Molecular flux is directly proportional to deposition rate, measured in units of molecules per square meter per second. Factors like surface area, temperature, pressure, and reactions with the surface can affect the accuracy of these calculations. Molecular flux can be applied in practical situations, such as optimizing deposition processes and studying pollutant transport.
Ravian
I have deposition rate of Silicon dioxide as 1000A/minute. I need to calculate molecular flux to the surface. First I tried to use ideal gas theory but since SiO2 is not ideal gas therefore my answer was completely wrong. I am disoriented. Can anybody help. I know the answer is 3.8E15 molecules/cm2 second.
Thanks

PS: It is not homework assignment. I need to calculate it to determine flux ratio.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the process for deposition?

It is evaporated using e-gun in UHV of around 10-9 Torr.

What is the purpose of calculating molecular flux from deposition rate?

The purpose of calculating molecular flux from deposition rate is to determine the rate at which molecules are being deposited onto a surface. This information can be useful in various scientific fields, such as materials science and atmospheric chemistry.

How is molecular flux related to deposition rate?

Molecular flux is directly proportional to deposition rate. This means that as the deposition rate increases, the molecular flux also increases. Similarly, as the deposition rate decreases, the molecular flux decreases.

What are the units of measurement for molecular flux?

Molecular flux is typically measured in units of molecules per square meter per second (mol/m^2/s). This unit represents the number of molecules that pass through a unit area in a given amount of time.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating molecular flux from deposition rate?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calculating molecular flux from deposition rate. These include variations in the surface area, temperature, and pressure of the system, as well as any potential reactions between the deposited molecules and the surface.

How can molecular flux be used in practical applications?

Molecular flux calculations can be used in various practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of thin film deposition processes in the semiconductor industry, or in studying the transport of pollutants in the atmosphere.