Calculating Net Acceleration of a Toy Cricket with a Spring | Physics Problem

In summary, the toy cricket is stuck to the floor with a suction cup which after a few moments releases to allow a spring to propel the cricket upward. The expanding spring accelerates the cricket over a distance of 0.01 m to point A, after which the toy travels freely to a maximum height of 1.00 m above the ground (point B). What is the net acceleration during the time the spring expands? Assume uniform acceleration. The answer is 970 m/s^2.
jehan4141
I've been trying to figure this problem out for a few hours now. Please, if you have helpful hints, help me out!

You can see the problem here on page 7, the problem about the toy cricket: http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/ph101_2006/learning_guide_ph101_2006.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A toy cricket is stuck to the floor with a suction cup which after a few moments releases to allow a spring to propel the cricket upward. The expanding spring accelerates the cricket over a distance of 0.01 m to point A, after which the toy travels freely to a maximum height of 1.00 m above the ground (point B).

What is the net acceleration during the time the spring expands? Assume uniform acceleration.

The answer is 970 m/s^2.

I just do not know where to start. I assume we use x = (1/2)(acceleration)(t^2) but don't know enough of the variables to plug and chug.

Physics news on Phys.org
you have solved 1,2 parts
so now you have speed when spring is completely expanded.

for the accelerating motion you have final vel., initial vel. , height
which Newton eqn can be used to find acc.?

Still confused...

Aren't they asking for the acceleration when the spring remains on the ground? Once the spring gets to point A, it jumps up in the air. Am I picturing this incorrectly?

For the question, I thought they wanted the acceleration for when it travels 0.01 meters and that the spring is fully expanded by the time it jumps off the ground at point A.

You have to work this problem in a couple steps. First, find out the velocity at which the cricket has to travel in order to go from 0.01 m to 1.00 m when only gravity is exerting a force on it. I'll let you see if you can figure out the rest from there. :)

omg you guys are geniuses...I just got it. physics is so difficult for me! thank u so much u guys

attachment.php?attachmentid=37220&stc=1&d=1310790877.png

no, the spring is expanding from A to C ... and then goes, under gravity effect, from C to B and then back.

for A-C motion, it experiences gravitational force and also a spring force (which is not constant but here its given for the sake of simplicity).

and then are asking acc. in A-C motion
C-B motion will have acc. g

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 459
You're welcome! Practice definitely makes perfect in physics.

jehan4141 said:
omg you guys are geniuses...I just got it. physics is so difficult for me! thank u so much u guys

:smile:

i am having to re-take physics next year..so I am trying to improve during the summer! :) i hope practice DOES make perfect :))))))

I'd like to remind people of our rule that we give only hints, not complete solutions. (just in case you're wondering what happened to the most recent posts in this thread.)

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It can be positive (speeding up), negative (slowing down), or zero (constant speed).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly the object's velocity changes. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is going, while acceleration tells us how quickly it is speeding up or slowing down.

4. What are some examples of acceleration in everyday life?

Some examples of acceleration in everyday life include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going down a hill, a person jumping off a diving board, and a ball being thrown into the air. Basically, any time an object's velocity changes, there is acceleration involved.

5. How does acceleration relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Acceleration is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.