Calculating Number of Oxygen Atoms in CaSO4: A Pop Quiz Challenge

• Thread starter nando94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation was about a multiple choice problem on a pop quiz involving the calculation of the number of oxygen atoms in a given amount of CaS04 X 2H2O. The correct calculation was provided, but the answer choices on the quiz did not match. The speakers discussed possible errors and the impact on the quiz results.
nando94
I had a multiple choice problem on my pop quiz. How many oxygen atoms are there in .00334 grams of CaS04 X 2H2O.

The molar mass is 172 g/mol. So .00334/172 = 1.9 x 10-5 moles x 6 since there are 6 oxygen x 6.022 x 1023 = 7.016 x 1019.

None of the answer choices had that. Did I do it wrong? I'm going to talk to my teacher about it tomorrow but its been bothering me lol.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nando94 said:
I had a multiple choice problem on my pop quiz. How many oxygen atoms are there in .00334 grams of CaS04 X 2H2O.

The is 172 g/mol. So .00334/172 = 1.9 x 10-5 moles x 6 since there are 6 oxygen x 6.022 x 1023 = 7.016 x 1019.

None of the answer choices had that. Did I do it wrong? I'm going to talk to my teacher about it tomorrow but its been bothering me lol.

Some small arithmetical mistake? What is the nearest to yours among the answers? Yours seems to be close, I get 6.865 X 1019.

Oddly I get a slightly different molar, 175.5 mass from yours (miscounted H?) but anyway 1.9 X 10-5 moles. Your reasoning is correct so in that case, say it was an multiple choice exam you should go to the nearest to your number.

I think the slightly different molar mass is due to differences between periodic tables.

The answer choices were 2, 6, 5.41 x 10^22, 5.81 x10^22, 1.11 x 10^21. Since your answer was very close to mine, I'm thinking that there was a typo on the quiz. If I saw your answer among the ones above I would have picked it but they weren't even close. Hopefully it is a typo haha and thanks for the help!

I got:

molar mass - 172.171 g/mol

moles - 1.940×10-5

oxygen atoms - 7.011×1019

Great job on tackling this question! Your calculation is correct and based on the given information, there are approximately 7.016 x 10^19 oxygen atoms in .00334 grams of CaSO4 x 2H2O. It is possible that the answer choices on the pop quiz were rounded or truncated, resulting in a slightly different answer. However, it is always important to double check with your teacher to ensure that you have the correct answer. Keep up the good work!

1. How many atoms are in a molecule of CaSO4?

The molecule of CaSO4, or calcium sulfate, contains a total of 6 atoms.

2. What is the atomic composition of CaSO4?

The atomic composition of CaSO4 is 1 calcium atom, 1 sulfur atom, and 4 oxygen atoms.

3. How do you calculate the number of atoms in a sample of CaSO4?

To calculate the number of atoms in a sample of CaSO4, you would need to know the mass of the sample and the molar mass of CaSO4. Then, you can use the Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to convert from moles to atoms.

4. How many moles of CaSO4 are needed to have 2 x 10^24 atoms?

To determine the number of moles of CaSO4 needed to have 2 x 10^24 atoms, you would first need to convert the given number of atoms to moles using Avogadro's number. Then, you can divide the number of atoms by the molar amount of CaSO4 (which can be found on the periodic table) to get the number of moles.

5. What is the relationship between the number of atoms in a molecule of CaSO4 and its mass?

The number of atoms in a molecule of CaSO4 is directly related to its mass. The more atoms present in a molecule, the higher the mass will be. In CaSO4, the atomic masses of calcium, sulfur, and oxygen all contribute to the overall mass of the molecule.