Calculating Orbital Trajectories for Spaceflight Simulators

In summary, the programmer is trying to figure out how to calculate the periapsis and the apoapsis for a spaceflight simulator, and is also having difficulty calculating the trajectory.
flyingdutchman
Hi!

Basically I am developing a spaceflight simulator specifically for the space shuttle. Coding the Shuttles Systems etc. is not actually the hardest part, as I had thought before.

The real problem is the physics engine :confused:
The main problem I have is, that with all the Equations for the different orbital elements every one of them depends on another.
So I thought it would be a great idea to have some "easy" beginning and moved on to think about how to calculate the Apoapsis right after the engines had shutten off, as it would only change a very small amount during ascent. If you then have the current speed and radius of the apoapsis it becomes quite easy to calculate the radius of the periapsis. From there on everything should be preatty straightforward.

However, I don't have a clue how to calculate the trajectoy itself. On a small scale (eg. throwing a baseball) its easy. But for these distances and speeds, the downward accelleration because of gravity would constantly change direction as you fly along the trajectory.

So does anybody know a way to calculate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to make a passable simulation then a step-by-step approach can work very well and produce an orbit that 'looks' stable and with no 'creep'. Small enough steps, using Initial Velocity and Position and a Gravitation Force vector to produce a final position and velocity. In 2D, it's very easy to produce a very convincing looking elliptical path.

1. What are orbital elements?

Orbital elements are a set of parameters that describe the orbit of a celestial object around another object. They include information such as the shape, size, and orientation of the orbit.

2. How are orbital elements calculated?

Orbital elements are calculated using observations of the celestial object's position and velocity. These observations are then used to solve mathematical equations, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to determine the orbital elements.

3. What are the most important orbital elements?

The most important orbital elements are the semi-major axis, eccentricity, inclination, longitude of ascending node, and argument of periapsis. These elements define the shape, size, and orientation of the orbit.

4. Why are orbital elements important in astronomy?

Orbital elements are important in astronomy because they allow us to accurately predict the movement and position of celestial objects. They also provide insight into the formation and evolution of planetary systems.

5. How do orbital elements change over time?

Orbital elements can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, tidal forces, and atmospheric drag. These changes can be calculated and used to track the long-term evolution of a celestial object's orbit.