Calculating Orbits of Groups: SO(3)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of orbits in group theory and how it relates to calculating the orbit of SO(3). The idea of an orbit is described as the set of all images of permutations of a point in a group. A link to MathWorld is provided for further explanation and an example of the orbit of SO(2) being a circle is given. The speaker acknowledges the possibility of being incorrect as they are self-teaching.
rdc30ynow
group theory : orbits

hi.

I'm trying to calculate the orbits of some simple groups. I have found many explanations of what they are, but no example calculations. does anyone have any ideas where to look. I'm trying to calculate the orbit of SO(3).

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What in heaven's name is the orbit of a group ?
Could you explain; please ?

marlon

group theory : orbits

if you let A be a group and G be an action on that group with a being a point in A. The set of all the images of the permutations of x by g in G on A is the orbit.

and here's the obligatory mathworld link: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GroupOrbit.html

example : the orbit of the rotation group SO(2) is a circle.

( ... but I've been teaching myself all this, so there is a chance that I am completely wrong)

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the orbit of a group SO(3)?

The orbit of a group SO(3) can be calculated by using the formula Orbit(G) = {gHg^-1 | g ∈ G}, where G is the group and H is the subgroup. This formula can be applied to any group, including SO(3).

2. What is the significance of calculating orbits in SO(3)?

Calculating orbits in SO(3) allows us to understand the transformations and symmetries of three-dimensional objects. It helps in studying rotations and reflections in 3D space, which have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. Can you give an example of calculating an orbit in SO(3)?

Let's say we have a cube and we want to calculate its orbit in SO(3). The group G would be the set of all possible rotations and reflections of the cube, and the subgroup H would be the set of all rotations around a specific axis. The calculated orbit would then give us all the possible positions of the cube after applying rotations and reflections around that axis.

4. How do you use the concept of orbits in SO(3) to classify geometrical objects?

The concept of orbits in SO(3) can be used to classify geometrical objects by their symmetries. For example, a sphere has an infinite number of symmetries, so its orbit in SO(3) would be a continuous set. On the other hand, a cube has only a limited number of symmetries, so its orbit in SO(3) would be a discrete set.

5. Are there any real-life applications of calculating orbits in SO(3)?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of calculating orbits in SO(3). Some examples include studying the orbits of planets around the sun, analyzing the movements of satellites and spacecraft, and understanding the behavior of molecules in chemistry and biology.