Calculating Output of Op-Amp in Given Circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
uzair_ha91
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the output of the op-amp as shown in the given circuit.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7554/184v.png
(Answer=0)

Homework Equations


Kirchhoff's Current Rule


The Attempt at a Solution



By applying KCL,
I1+I2=I3
V1/R1 + V2/R2 = Vo/R3
Substituing the values and rearranging the equation we get,
Vo= (5/10,000 + 2/4,000)*20,000
Vo= 20
But then I realized that if i use a minus sign between (5/10,000 + 2/4,000), I get Vo=0...
So does that minus sign come into the equation because we're trying to find out the output of an inverting amplifier, or is it simply because V2="-"2
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This type of circuit is known as adder or summer

AdderAmp.gif


The solution is given by:

vo = - RF * [ V1/R1 + V2/R2 + ... + Rn/Rn]

SOLUTION:

Vo = - 20k * [ 5/10k + -2/4k] ; I think you forgot to use negative signs
Vo = 0
 
Mr.Green said:
Vo = - 20k * [ 5/10k + -2/4k] ; I think you forgot to use negative signs
Vo = 0

Why did you put a minus sign before 20k?
 
Since the input is on the inverting input a negative sign should be used.
On yourpost you didn't specify the type of inputs of the op-amp, but it seems that the input is on the inverting input.