Calculating $\partial f$ for $f(r, \theta) = r\cos \theta$

• MHB
  • Thread starter OhMyMarkov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between partial derivatives and single-variable derivatives. It is mentioned that if f(x) = 2x, then df = 2dx, and the question is asked about expressing $\partial f$ in terms of r and $\theta$ for the function f(r, $\theta$) = r cos $\theta$. The response explains that $\partial f$ can be expressed as f_r dr + f_theta d$\theta$ and clarifies that the "curly d" notation is not used for partial derivatives.
OhMyMarkov
Hello everyone, I remember this from single-variable calculus: if f(x) = 2x, then df = 2dx, right?

What if $f(r, \theta) = r\cos \theta$, how can I express $\partial f$ in terms of $r$ and $\theta$.?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OhMyMarkov said:
Hello everyone, I remember this from single-variable calculus: if f(x) = 2x, then df = 2dx, right?<br><br>What if $f(r, \theta) = r\cos \theta$, how can I express $\partial f$ in terms of $r$ and $\theta$.?<br><br>Thanks!

In Your case $f(r, \theta)$ is function of two variables, $r$ and $\theta$, so that is...

$\displaystyle df= f_{r}\ dr + f_{\theta}\ d \theta$ (1)

... where $f_{r}$ and $f_{\theta}$ are the partial derivatives of $f(*,*)$ respect to $r$ and $\theta$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Notice that you do NOT use the "curly d" here. It is df, not $\partial f$.

Related to Calculating $\partial f$ for $f(r, \theta) = r\cos \theta$

1. What is the formula for calculating partial derivatives?

The formula for calculating partial derivatives is $\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x+h,y)-f(x,y)}{h}$ for a function $f(x,y)$ with respect to the variable $x$. Similarly, for a function $f(x,y)$ with respect to the variable $y$, the formula is $\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x,y+h)-f(x,y)}{h}$.

2. How do you calculate partial derivatives for a function with polar coordinates?

To calculate partial derivatives for a function with polar coordinates, we use the chain rule. For a function $f(r,\theta)$, the partial derivative with respect to $r$ is $\frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = \cos \theta$ and the partial derivative with respect to $\theta$ is $\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} = -r\sin \theta$.

3. Can we use the polar coordinate equations to calculate $\partial f$ for any function?

No, the polar coordinate equations can only be used to calculate $\partial f$ for functions that are defined in polar coordinates, i.e. functions that have variables $r$ and $\theta$.

4. What is the significance of calculating partial derivatives for a function?

Calculating partial derivatives allows us to determine the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

5. How do we interpret the values of $\partial f$ for a function with polar coordinates?

The values of $\partial f$ for a function with polar coordinates represent the rate of change of the function in the direction of the specified variable. For example, $\frac{\partial f}{\partial r}$ represents the rate of change of the function in the radial direction, while $\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta}$ represents the rate of change in the angular direction.